Canine Portraits - C&C

JenKat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a couple photos from yesterday I'd like your opinions on.

1. This is my brother's 6 year old Blue Heeler, Pepper. She's only been his since January, and is very unsocialized... She's only recently started taking a liking to me. I took her, her daughter Daisy, and my lab to the dog park for some play time, while I played around with my D80. While I did get a few good photos, this one stood out to me.
I think it really captures that spark of her personality that we are seeing more of every day.
My own critique: I chopped her paws off, the photo feels just a little tight, and I may have went a little overboard with saturation in PP... :mrgreen:

Pepper by Amazon Cheesecake, on Flickr

2. This one I'm not quite as fond of, comp-wise. Sophie, my boss' spoiled little brat of a Shih Poo, did not want to cooperate. While I was taking care of all of their dogs for the weekend, I threw a blanket over one of our grooming tables, set her up on it, and snapped a few photos.
My own critique: Tight shot again (maybe should've went landscape instead?), missing toes again... I'm seeing a pattern here. :lol:

DSC_0085 by Amazon Cheesecake, on Flickr

Your thoughts would be appreciated. While I may be stubborn sometimes on things that I like, I do love hearing the opinions of others, good or bad, on ways to improve myself.

#1.... you're standing up.... get down eye-level with the dog. The teeth showing makes me wonder if that's natural for the dog or whether I should offer him my weak arm so I can get out my sidearm.

I like #2 better than #1. All you needed to do is pan down, back up or zoom out a bit.

#1.... you're standing up.... get down eye-level with the dog. The teeth showing makes me wonder if that's natural for the dog or whether I should offer him my weak arm so I can get out my sidearm.

I like #2 better than #1. All you needed to do is pan down, back up or zoom out a bit.

1. I was standing, but because she is such a timid dog, she responds better to me being in a natural position. When I would try to get to her level, she instantly becomes submissive and drops to the ground, making it difficult to photograph her, I had to get her attention, saying "Truck?!" to get those ears up.
As for her teeth, both her and her daughter are very "smiley", and always have their mouths open. So yes, it is natural for her.

2. I was using my 50mm, so I should've scooted back a bit. Her expression is less natural actually, as she was stressed a little from being up on a table, and therefore panting...

Crops seem either a litle too tight or not tight enough, depending on what you want to go for. Cut the legs off on first puppy.

First one looks like he's going to eat me, which I find unnerving. :) Australian Cattle Dog or a mix with some in it possibly... those dogs look a little scary anyway. :) Might be why.

Second shot is very cute and I thinkt the background actually works well with the dog without being too distracting.

Not too bad overall, imo.

Crops seem either a litle too tight or not tight enough, depending on what you want to go for. Cut the legs off on first puppy.

First one looks like he's going to eat me, which I find unnerving. :) Australian Cattle Dog or a mix with some in it possibly... those dogs look a little scary anyway. :) Might be why.

Second shot is very cute and I thinkt the background actually works well with the dog without being too distracting.

Not too bad overall, imo.

Lol, I guess you'd just have to know Pepper. This expression fits her perfectly. Yes, she is an Australian Cattle Dog ("Blue Heeler" we tend to call them around here).

And thank you!

Ah, I love it when I tag the breed right. :)

And yeah, I can believe it, from the ACD's I've known. Crazy-ass animals, but in a good way. :lol:

On my parent's farm, my brother has Pepper, and her 2 yr old daughter, Daisy. They are both good dogs. But, from experience with them, and others of the breed at work (I'm a vet tech), I know how crazy they can be... They can be quite neurotic. They are also excellent watch dogs, as I guarantee you'd think twice about approaching their property. Lol.

I need to attempt a couple photos of Daisy participating in her favorite game... Chasing bubbles!

I think your heeler picture is great. I like the expression on the dog's face - looks like she just brought her tongue in after panting a bit. I have a heeler mix that does that - he likes to show his teeth; but he's not aggressive.

The second one is good. I would say to pan to your right just a hair to keep an even frame around the pup. But I'm certainly no pro! I like both of the images - I wish I could get my dog to sit still...you want him? lol

I think your heeler picture is great. I like the expression on the dog's face - looks like she just brought her tongue in after panting a bit. I have a heeler mix that does that - he likes to show his teeth; but he's not aggressive.

The second one is good. I would say to pan to your right just a hair to keep an even frame around the pup. But I'm certainly no pro! I like both of the images - I wish I could get my dog to sit still...you want him? lol

Lol. No thanks! I've got a lab mix who is a wonderful girl... But I've put alot of work and training into her, and I'm not done! (She's only 2 1/2)

Both of my brother's heelers are good dogs, not aggressive, but protective of the property. Which is good because they have alot of farm equipment, and live right on a main highway. They both are always smiling. It's so funny to see.

Here's another from yesterday... I thought I'd add it just because he's a beautiful dachshund... I know the focus caught the top of his head, and not his eyes. And I cropped in something in the top corner... Blegh.. But here's Jake. :er:

DSC_0054 by Amazon Cheesecake, on Flickr

awww...how cute!

My heeler is almost 6 months, and when he's in the house, he will sit, stay, down, off, leave it, dead dog, and he will give you his paw to shake when you tell him it's "nice to meet you." But when you're outside, you're lucky if he will look at you as he's running to chase things.

awww...how cute!

My heeler is almost 6 months, and when he's in the house, he will sit, stay, down, off, leave it, dead dog, and he will give you his paw to shake when you tell him it's "nice to meet you." But when you're outside, you're lucky if he will look at you as he's running to chase things.

Heelers are one of the smartest breeds. If you aren't more interesting than the birds or squirrels, then you can bet he's not going to pay you any attention.
Both of ours give us almost undivided attention. I'd trust Daisy to stay by my side offleash anywhere, unlike my lab, who's well-trained, but still a lab. Lol.

Always shoot at the animal's eye level. If its a horse, stand up. If its a dog, kneel down. If its an ant, get and anteater. Its a lot more exotic shooting the anteater while eating the ants. The only time you shoot a dog while standing is with sparky's sidearm.

Dont crop it too tight. Dogs love some breathing space too

Most reactions

Back