Cannon 10d vs. Pentax k100d super vs. Olympus E-Volt E-500

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am considering one of these three cameras. I have been offered the Pentax K100d Super with kit lens for $300, which is a pretty good deal. If all of the technical stuff works out on that, then it seems like a good buy. I have seen the Cannon 10d body with three extra batteries of craigslist for $300. If i can get a lens for a reasonable price, then this is a good option also. On ebay, I saw an Olympus E-Volt E-500 for $250 plus shipping. This also seems like a good deal. Considering the prices, which camera would be my best bet?

I also have two 2gb and one 256mb SD cards. A camera with SD compatibility is nice, but not required.

The k100d super sounds like a good deal, great camera too.

I second RKW3.

The other good thing about Pentax for people on a low budget is that there is a plethora of old lenses available for cheap.

+1
The other good thing about Pentax for people on a low budget is that there is a plethora of old lenses available for cheap.
I have a Pentax K100d Super it is a great camera. Easy to use and light, you are getting a good deal on it.

I used to have one, too.

Probably one of the greatest deals in photography.

Lots of used Pentax glass, cheap, fast and good quality. Just take a look at the listings on KEH. I almost want to buy a Pentax just so I can buy 10 primes for the price on one Canon prime! People practically give this stuff away on craigslist, in fact sometimes they do, just keep watching, and snatch it up fast!

So, I should definitely go with the pentax?

The 10 D is pretty decent camera I still use mine along side my 40D. I hate to say it but by going either the canon or Nikon route You will always be on the cusp of technology and buying either lenses will Keep you at the forefront even more. These are the two big hitters out there and they sort of set the bar. Camera technology evolves very fast but the glass will work for a long , long time

So, if I get the same or better deal, I should go for a cannon or nikon?

This is a very personal decision, so please take our opinions with a grain or two of salt.

The Pentax K100D is the best deal. And lenses are DIRT cheap, like others said. Its truly the best deal for your money. If you plan on upgrading your camera someday to a point past the "prosumer" level (D80, K20D, 40D, etc.), you will not be happy with your setup. But then again with the money you save, you could effectively start your collection over as a Canon or Nikon owner.

This is a very personal decision, so please take our opinions with a grain or two of salt.

The Pentax K100D is the best deal. And lenses are DIRT cheap, like others said. Its truly the best deal for your money. If you plan on upgrading your camera someday to a point past the "prosumer" level (D80, K20D, 40D, etc.), you will not be happy with your setup. But then again with the money you save, you could effectively start your collection over as a Canon or Nikon owner.

Not true. Pentax will have a full format out before those guys outgrow something like the K20D.

People who argue that only Canon or Nikon systems allow you to grow with it should just open their eyes.

Honestly the only case that is true is if you are planing on becoming a pro sports photographer, and maybe wildlife.

If you don't think you are going to do that, then all systems are fine.

Last year Pentax had the largest increase in market share in Japan. I think this stands for something.

True, you don't need to have more than 30% of the marketshare to make correct R&D...
Apple don't sell as much hardware as lenovo or dell, but they still manage to kick other brands ass in their product lines (that's said, they don't have all kind of computers, for exemple they don't have eeePC like, or barebone, or even simple tower, it's either all in one or crazy tower powered by xenon...).
It's kind of the same with pentax. For now, there is still some models missing in their lineup, they have entry level camera, prosumer camera, but not pro camera yet. I don't mean you can't be a pro and use a pentax, but what we call pro bodies are 1D serie for Canon and D1 D2 and D3 on Nikon. For now, only Canon and Nikon can afford such models, because it required a lot of R&D but you can't sell as much 4000$+ camera than 400$ ones... "luxury" model are usually not as lucrative as the entry level ones.
But anyway, Sony is coming with a full frame body, and I'm happy to hear that it's also the case of Pentax. And they were right to focus on entry and mid level camera first, because anyway pro wouldn't have buy camera if the brand didn't show their proof in digital era first, and that allowed them to generate some serious cash to creat a more complete lineup now :)
By the way, I really liked the Minolta DSLR, too bad they died, Sony kinda changed the spirit... I think Pentax is the closest of what minolta was. Actually, they might be even suit me better. When I choosed a DSLR 3 years ago, pentax didn't had their K10D yet, but I think if they did, I would have go for this one :)

As you know I'm still wondering if I will go for the 5D once it will be repleaced, but if Pentax release a FF i will rather go for it... pentax have some very very nice lens, a requirement for FF body, and all this at very good prices... in the other hand, I will have to sell my soul to get the same quality with canon lenses...

If I was richer I would honestly won't bother and get a full canon system, 5D or and some nice L zoom and primes along with some older lenses, or nikon D3 and the good nikon lenses that would fit.... so I understand why most pro go for canon or nikon, but when you are in tight budget... that's just an other thing.

IMO...
For a consumer, the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D are very difficult to beat in terms of value and lens selection (Autofocus and Manual Kmounts).

For a professional, the Canon 5D, 1D MIII, 1Ds, as well as the equivalent Nikons are difficult to beat. But you will be spending a lot more money for the lenses..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back