Cannon D10

needtoshoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

Great forum. Any feedback out there on the D10? How many battery packs? How is it for professional sports photography?

thanks.

It uses one Canon BP-511 7.1v battery or two with the option battery grip. Battery life (one) seems to be about 300 shoots at the 6mp setting for me.

I thing the 3 frames per second w/max of 9 maybe a little slow for sports. But, I do attend to use mine for sports mostly collage baseball in the spring. Also the older 4mp EOS-1D has a rate of 8fps w/21 max, that a lot faster. But the new EOS-1Ds is 3fps w/10max about the same

You can take a look at some of my work at the links below. Everything on these three pages was taken with the EOS-10D and these lenses 28-70 f2.8 Sigma, 70-200 f2.8 IS Canon, and 2x Extender EF Canon

http://community.webshots.com/album/83446033BvpfQp/0

http://community.webshots.com/album/81081312wzRWoh

http://community.webshots.com/album/88465419FLgfve

Jeff

I just got the 10D (I don't know of a d10).

battery life depends a lot on how you use it. I got 500 shots the first time using flash for most of my shots.

Then next day I took some pictures without flash, only lasted about 350shots. It was because I was using the AI servo... it seems taht autofocus servo DRAINS batteries like crazy.
I guess if you're taking sunny landscapes, you may easily get over 700 shots.

I use my 10D since a few months and I simply love this camera, great quality, great handling... I don't do sports though. I can imagine it's a good tool for sports (if it's fast enough with 3fps like somebody mentioned before). The multiplication factor makes the focal lenght of every lens longer by the factor of 1.6 - good for sports

? this camera produces zero noise at ISO 100&200
? ISO 1600 is still very usable - good for sports
? colors are very natural - also important
? AF is quick and right on (some people have had backfocus problems though)

Since you want to use it professional, I guess I don't need to tell you 'bout lenses...

batteries: I get approx. 300-400 shots with one battery. A 256 MB CF card gives you about 100 pictures in high quality jpg mode. So just get nuff memory (tip: stay away from Microdrives). I don't bother shooting RAW (unless it's some high tech studio stuff) coz the postprocessing is just too much work... I believe for your task it doesn't matter anyway.

Concerning prints in offset print quality (300 dpi) I'd go up to DIN A4, you can sqeeze more out if you really need to :wink:

hope this helps (oh, you can read some more here http://www.dpreview.com

one more thing: compared to film it acts more like shooting slide film (highlights tend to blow out) it helps a lot to expose for the shadows...

Jeff: Canon's 1D was optimized for speed, 1 Ds for quality 8)

coz Microdrives are too sensitive (it is a tiny hard disk), drop it - it's dead. Compact flash cards are much less sensitive (wash 'em if you want). Anyway, you wouldn't notice a speed difference, coz the 10 D buffer is pretty big.

Confused, I thought Microdrive was an IBM trademark name for high volume CF II cards. Are these problems comments to all manufactures of 1GB and higher CF II cards?

from what I understand, microdrives are really little tiny harddrives compatible with CF slots. They actually have a few moving parts!

CF cards however are just pieces of memory (like ram) and have no moving parts and therefore can withstand much more abuse.

Thanks for all the feedback. Does anyone feel limited by the small sensor. It is about 30% smaller than a 35m. I do occasional model shoots in studio. I like to have scape and broad views in my shots. I usually have trouble cramming it all onto a 35m without lens distorting. Hope I am making myself clear.. Anyone?

Also, how's the longer exposure performance? Everyone happy with how it holds up vs film?

Thanks again.

needtoshoot

:scratch: It’s has the same 2:3 format as 35mm, yes the smaller sensor give it a zoom factor of 1.6, A 50mm lens is = to 80mm, so you will need a wider lens

urameatball is correct & the other big problem with them (microdrives) is the battery drain they cause.

CF card are a much better route in my opinion.

Jim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back