Cannon FD lenses

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there an adapter to let them work with the new Canon DSLR lineup? Some of the new EF lenses cost more then some of the cameras, and I can get good/un used FD lenses almost for free on ebay.

There is a reason why the FD lenses are lower in cost because it is hard to use it with the EF mount. It is mainly because of the different flange to focal plane distance(FFD) (the distance between the mount flange and the recording medium such as the film or sensor) between FD and EF mount.

Flange to focal plane distance of EF mount is 44mm while FD mount is 42mm. Because the FD mount has a shorter FFD, so in order for it to work properly, the end of the FD lens need to be inside the camera which is not possible. Even if you are able physically mount the FD lens on the EF mount, you are not able to focus to infinity. To solve this problem, you can get a adapter which has a lens inside the adapter to make it work. (which also act as a multiplier) However, the good one (one that does not degrade the image much) cost a lot of money to a point that it is not worth it.

However, Nikon F-mount FFD is 46.5mm which is longer than Canon EF mount. Therefore, you maybe able to use a old manual F-mount lens on a Canon EF mount camera with an adapter (pretty much the adapter is pushing the mount further away from the film/sensor) that do not need a lens inside. Personally I have not try that but search around the net may yield some results or examples.

Pocketshaver,

I'm using the Fotodiox Pro adapter. I've got two of them and am saving up for a third.
While you can interchange them between lenses, it get's to be a hassle after a while. I think I'll get one for each lens I use.

Here are of a couple of photos of the adapter mentioned above. A friend found a bunch of old FD lenses at a garage sale and paid almost nothing for them and then gave them to me. I got this adapter and started experimenting with them. Honestly it was fun to experiment with but the quality was nowhere near as good as modern lenses, at least in my experience.

But if you enjoy working with vintage lenses on a DSLR is the way to go.

IMG_20190804_174135-1008x756.jpg
IMG_20190804_174127-1008x756.jpg
IMG_20190804_174605-1008x756.jpg

If this works, here's a couple of pictures I took with a 70-200 lens, and one with a 50 mm coupled with a 2X teleextender set on macro:

upload_2019-8-5_0-25-2.png

1/160 speed, ISO at 200

upload_2019-8-5_0-27-59.png

1/500 speed, ISO at 100

upload_2019-8-5_0-29-33.png

1/60 speed, ISO at 200

I think that if you have FD mount lenses you should not bother using them on a modern EOS digital single lens reflex, since you need a lens adapter that uses a negative glass element, which in my personal experience,typically hurts the performance of an otherwise good Lens. I think that if you want to use FD Canon lenses that you would be better off using them on a mirrorless camera that uses no glass in its adapter. For example I would not hesitate at all to use most older FD lenses on the modern full frame Sony mirrorless models.

Last edited:
Why not just buy a good used Canon off eBay that accepts FDs. Those cameras were designed for FD lenses, thereby eliminating the need for adaptors. One caveat, they are film cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have the canon 600d it uses the EFS lens and will take the EF fitting.
Some of the older film EF lens are stupid cheap. I have tried to buy EF mount where I can in the past so that if I ever moved to FF then I would not have to change my glass.

Is there an adapter to let them work with the new Canon DSLR lineup? Some of the new EF lenses cost more then some of the cameras, and I can get good/un used FD lenses almost for free on ebay.

Shaver, I see this is pretty old but you didn’t get much info.
When Canon changed to EOS they made an official glassed adapter that sold for a few hundred dollars. They are L glass quality unlike the cheap Chinese ones of today. I see them up for sale on eBay and CraigsList on occasion for about a $1000!
There are lots of glasses knockoffs for $50 but they add CA’s though most seem to report they are happy with them.
The 3rd option. I use an Ed Mika adapter on an old 600mm FD lens. These adaptors are glass-less. Meaning they have no optics in them. They work because then are VERY thin. At about .75mm you do NOT loose infinity focus. I recall they were about a $100 dollars but I’ve seen little about them lately, if they are still being made? I’ve also heard there aRE cheap Chinese knock-offs at half the price but have not seen one.
The add Mika’s are somewhat lens specific since there were variations of the FD mount. So they are specifically tweaked to fit the better lenses such as the 55mm 1.2 or the 600mm 4.5 etc.
Mine works VERY well but I think he made a thinner one that’s even better.
I’ve attached a discussion that’s rather old so have no idea if they are still available. I suggest you google Ed Mika or other GLASS-LESS adapters. Good luck
SS
What happened to Ed Mika Inc?: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

If you are set one shooting with the FD lenses buy off eBay a good condition Canon FD camera and shoot film. Which is what they designed for anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most reactions

New Topics

Back