Cannot get a crisp photo indoors

Gee....Do they make a pop up flash for a 1 Dx?

Agreed with most of the comments about a popup flash. It's great as "fill" when you're shooting a backlit figure or you're a bit further away. But for shooting a 6 m.o. you're just going to blowout all the color and detail. And you want off-camera lighting anyway for good portraits.

Get the YongNuo--it's cheap and reliable. Next option (if you can't shoot someplace with more ambient light) is to upgrade the light. Since speed lights and studio lights are new to you, you can go to someplace like Cowboy Studio and buy a cheap light, stand, umbrella with a continuous light source (like a day-light rated CFL). The thing about shooting babies is that they won't pose for you. So the nature of your subject plus your inexperience with speed lights, a continuous light source is the way to go for you. You'll get a higher percentage of "keepers".

I'm going to say something radical... hopefully nobody flips out on me.

Have you considered moving the baby to a location with MORE available light?

When I shot weddings... I would say it was fairly rare that I would walk into a room and NOT re-arrange the furniture. Literally I would think "this chair looks good, that sofa is nice, I think I'll take this plant... and move them ALL OVER HERE to the window." I was basically a photographer and furniture mover. You don't have to accept the scene the way it is -- make it the way you want.

Keep in mind I was shooting with a film camera so we couldn't just crank up the ISO (we'd have to change the film and high ISO film was VERY grainy.)

Control the lighting. Get a reflector if you want. They are very inexpensive... see: Amazon.com: Impact Collapsible Circular Reflector Disc - Silver/White - 32": Camera & Photo
That's a 32", but they come in many sizes. I do recommend the white/silver and avoid the gold. Gold works well if you want to enhance the look of a suntan when you shoot swimsuit models.

Get a flash... bounce it off your (hopefully white) ceiling. The Canon 430EX II is very nice and capable.

Always remember there is *often* something you can do to control the light... you don't necessarily have to take it as it is.

Lastly... if you'd like, post one of these ISO 800 images that you think are too grainy and we'll see what we can't do with it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can use the popup...if that's what you have it may be better than nothing. If it's your primary light source, it's going to be harsh. I'd recommend setting a -1 FEC or so to help.

If you have to use a wide aperture and need more DOF, back up and shoot looser. Crop in post. When working at shorter distances small changes in distance can make a big difference... A 50% increase in distance will double the DOF, the same as stopping down two stops. That could be nothing more than taking a step or two back...
Or switch to a wider lens, it has the same effect.

I was going to suggest a faster shutter speed. Shoot in Manuala and try ISO 600-800 @ F3.5-4.5 and shutter about 8o to 125 . I can usually get pretty good photos with these settings in low light.

You can use an umbrella, a flash (the yongnuo 565 is perfect) and the trigger. It's too easy. If you would like to save, you can buy the flash no e-ttl and use this off-camera in manual mode. For example the YN 560 III and with this flash one trigger (not two).
This's the result can you do with the flash off-camera :
View attachment 65667

Good light

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Set the aperture to 2.8. Frame the subject, then use the arrow keys to move your focus point to the eye, then focus and shoot. Try not to focus then recompose the shot.

I may ask for an external flash for christmas from my husband - any recommendations?
I do feel that light is a limiting factor in our house, we live under very mature trees. Before I get an external flash - is there a specific lightbulb I can put in a lamp that will mimic daylight so that I am not dealing with the white balance dilemma of sunlight from a window mixed with a tungsten bulb? Would a daylight bulb be best?
And, thank you amoliter - I do end up with at least one keeper out of about 20 or so even at my shallow dof, maybe I'm not as bad as I think. Are those really crisp eyes I see online that obviously have a really shallow DOF a product of photoshop/sharpening? Like this - http://photographyspark.com/images/photo-contest-depth-of-field.jpg
And to continue my random list of questions and comments, does more light always mean a better picture. For example if I can get the exposure I need at ISO 100, 1/400 and f/3.5, will more light make that picture better?

I have an external flash that I bounce off the ceiling if light is too low, works like a charm.

Think about something, re:ambient light vs flash light. With a flash, your SS will be like. 200-250. If you take an image without the flash, same aperture and at 200-250, what does it look like? Dark. Or even black. No ambient light color cast to be seen right? So why would you have ambient light competing all of the sudden if you use a flash?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back