cannot u/l pics.. file too large

Lamora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I was wanting to show some pics of the last road trip I took with my husband. It says file is too large. I have never had this come up before. How do I get it smaller? I have looked at every editing thing I have, and I cannot find how to make them smaller. Any help would be great at this point. Or point me somewhere here that I can find it.. right now I feel lost. :concern:

Image size is 4272 x 2848 size is 4.33 MB

Last edited:
What software are you using?
There normally is a File Export or File SaveAs that has a "Size" or "Quality"

For instance Microsoft OfficePicture Manager is .. File Export, Export Using this size (at the lower right menu) to change the size of the export file.

I feel not so smart right now. The only software I have came with the camera. PBM and there isn't a lot for me to do with it. But you would think I could find something on making it smaller. I will look some more. I just have never had to do this before for any of my pictures. Could the setting on the camera have something to do with it? I don't think I reset anything like the size, but I may have.

The problem is the file size - 4.33 MB, not the pixel dimensions (image resolution) 4272 x 2848 pixels.

But, as mentioned the 'Quality' setting is used with JPEG files to reduce the 'file size'. A lower Quality setting gives a smaller file size.

Could the setting on the camera have something to do with it? I don't think I reset anything like the size, but I may have.
I have my camera setting to "large" and the file size is listed at 21 MB. Even the "small" is 16 MB, still too big to upload. When I want to post an image online, I export the file at 1024 pixels to a side.

When I want to send an image via e-mail, I export in whatever the compressed file size is for e-mail purposes. Not sure what size it is exactly, but they usually "go" without much delay.

I made a screenshot of the various file types and sizes that are available to me.

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 4.25.02 PM.png

ok thanks. Will see what i have. I still cant find anything to resize the photos I already have. Sure wish my daughter was here. Not sure she could help, but she knows more about this stuff than I do. But thanks, gonna hang it up for now tho, give my head a break.
I will figure it out sometime. Seems like the more I learn, the less I know....

You should try that link Traveler put up. Personally I sue PS to resize my images. I do believe that GIMP, and Picassa will also do it as well. So you could download those for editing as well as resizing.

Usually what I do in these situations is upload the file to Pixlr Express, then immediately save it at a slightly lower quality. Image quality doesn't usually suffer too horribly as a result, but the file size is a good bit smaller.

Online Image Editor Pixlr Express Autodesk Pixlr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back