Canon 100 - 400 info maybe vs Tamron 150 - 600

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Firstly I know nothing about Canon I am asking as my wifes dad asked should I get one of these. He speaks Finnish only so I came here to get some information so sorry if asking such silly questions.

Well there has become a Canon 100 - 400 appear rather cheap.I dont know if it is cheap but it was 800 Euros, at least compared to new seems good.
Also he already have the Canon 70-200 f4 with a 1.4 teleconverter which takes it to a 280mm so I was wondering would the additional 120mm really be worth it for shooting birds.
So I bought up maybe the Tamron would offer better reach for almost the same price and new. (120 euro rebate at the moment)
I know for me comparing the Nikkor 80 - 400 vs Tamron 150 - 600 the Tamron was clearly better and the extra reach proved useful.

So if anyone can give some help if the Canon is worth it or has anyone tried both and have an opinion which is better would be most helpful.

He is just doing this for his own pleasure and just wanting that little extra reach for the smaller birds. So help here would be amazing.

Thank you :)

Firstly I know nothing about Canon I am asking as my wifes dad asked should I get one of these. He speaks Finnish only so I came here to get some information so sorry if asking such silly questions.

Well there has become a Canon 100 - 400 appear rather cheap.I dont know if it is cheap but it was 800 Euros, at least compared to new seems good.
Also he already have the Canon 70-200 f4 with a 1.4 teleconverter which takes it to a 280mm so I was wondering would the additional 120mm really be worth it for shooting birds.
So I bought up maybe the Tamron would offer better reach for almost the same price and new. (120 euro rebate at the moment)
I know for me comparing the Nikkor 80 - 400 vs Tamron 150 - 600 the Tamron was clearly better and the extra reach proved useful.

So if anyone can give some help if the Canon is worth it or has anyone tried both and have an opinion which is better would be most helpful.

He is just doing this for his own pleasure and just wanting that little extra reach for the smaller birds. So help here would be amazing.

Thank you :)

if you're shooting sports or action the Canon will be have better AF and image quality
but if you shooting birds at 600mm and stopping down (f8) the Tamron will work fine

I don't "own" these lenses but I had been evaluating them.

1) The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II

2) Tamron makes a 150-600mm f/5-6.3

3) Sigma makes TWO different 150-600mm versions. One is the "contemporary" (the letter "C" is in the name) and the other is the "Sport" (the letter "S" is in the name). The Sport is their higher end version and noticeably higher price tag.

Tony Northrup did a review of these lenses on YouTube. Also "The Digital Picture" website offers a tool to compare image quality. That link is here:

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens Image Quality

The above link is comparing the Sigmas Sport against the Tamron. If you move your mouse on and off the image then the image flips from the lens listed on the left vs. the lens listed on the right. He shows samples of the center area, the mid-frame area (halfway between center and corner) and the corners area. In this particular example you can see that the Sport is the better lens all the way around. ALSO note that you can change the focal length -- because you'll often see a difference when comparing them at, say 150mm... vs 600mm.

But you can use the pull-down menu to change which lens you are comparing and check out the other Sigma and the Canon (don't forget to change the focal lengths since the Canon 100-400 obviously doesn't go to 600mm.)

From what I am able to tell...

The Canon 100-400mm (version II ... no the original 100-400) is the cleanest (it also has the best build and image stabilization by far.) BUT... the Canon only zooms to 400mm unlike the rest of the choices. So if you're staying under the 400mm limit the Canon is the clear choice.
Next is the Sigma 150-600 "Sport" (the "S" version).
And the next one is a bit closer but I think the Sigma "Contemporary" (the "C" version) beats out the Tamron -- certainly at the 150mm and at the 600mm the end the Tamron is mushy with stronger CA especially in the corners.

Most reactions

Back