Canon 100mm L lens with UV filter

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would having the UV filter affect autofocus to a noticeable amount? It is a long story.

I wouldn't have thought so, it maybe worth speaking to Canon directly on their free live chat service.

ive used it loads since the shops closed for lockdown

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want to put a useless "UV filter" on such a nice lens?

I didn't want to, I had a free Canon test drive and took loads of photos with it vs my Canon 60mm. I was really trying to compare the AF - and after I went to package it up, I realized that I had had a filter on it!!!!

Use a filter on any lens, you will get some loss of IQ with any filter, regardless of quality
It’s up to you to weigh up the advantages against the loss of IQ
For me a filter on l glass is worth the loss of IQ as I have some problems with my hands and from time to time touch the front of the lens so If I touch a filter and leave a acidic finger print that will damage the surface that is cheaper than new l glass

I think most people worry more than necessary. I've seen more stories of filters causing damage to lenses than actually saving them. Like one where a lens was lightly dropped with a filter and lense cap, and the shattered filter scared the front element. Another where a filter damaged the lens threads.

On the other hand, scratches and fingerprints actually have minimal impact on your pictures.
This is worth a read to see actual impact from a "scratch".. Front Element Scratches

As for affecting auto focus, in most situations a uv filter of any quality will have no impact on autofocus. In a few specific situations, like shooting bright lights at night or pictures with the sun in the frame a uv filter can cause extra flare spots, which could in theory negatively affect autofocus speed and accuracy.

As an amateur photographer I learned early to always keep a clear glass or UV filter in place. The clear glass will not affect the exposure. Though some will argue that any extra glass placed in front of the front lens will create distortion. A UV filter serves to reduce UV rays, also to help protect the front lens. When I was shooting professionally I always kept a filter in place. Since the 1970’s I have never damaged a front lens element, and never a complaint from my customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Why put a UV filter on a good lens in the first place..??

As an amateur photographer I learned early to always keep a clear glass or UV filter in place. The clear glass will not affect the exposure. Though some will argue that any extra glass placed in front of the front lens will create distortion. A UV filter serves to reduce UV rays, also to help protect the front lens. When I was shooting professionally I always kept a filter in place. Since the 1970’s I have never damaged a front lens element, and never a complaint from my customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Did the filter ever actually save your lens from damage? And how would customers know about the filter in order to complain?

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

I don't use them and haven't done so for 20 years or more. I did have one on my 100-400L (a freebee) and from memory there was no effect on AF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back