canon 10d and hotshoe flash problem

brandonvoges

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.native411.com
I recently purchases a Canon 10D, and then quickly (i'm an idiot), purchased a "colorsplash" hotshoe flash, thinking I could do some long exposures with a freaky colored flash for some funky effects.

the flash:
http://shop.lomography.com/microsites/colorsplashflash/

One problem, my Canon 10D doesn't like the flash. It locks up when I try to use it. Anyone know why this might happen?

I have a friend with a nikon, and it worked fine on it. ugh.

The flash works alone, and so does the cam...but together...no dice.

Any help is much appreciated...Thanks.
Brandon

uh oh, this flash is not designed for use with a 10D... the specs say clearly 'designed for Lomo xyz'. Different manufacturers build system hotshoes with additional functionality. A few years ago I fried a Minolta SLR with a wrong flash... :scratch: that was an experience of $500 :roll:

Get urself a flash that is designed to work with the 10D and some additional colored covers (yup, they're avail for different kinds of flashes) or just tape some colored foil in front of the diffusor. Works wonders!

ah ha...makes sense. Well, i guess i was lucky it was only 30 bucks...and my good friend has a lomo. Happy Birthday to him!

Can you recommend an inexpensive flash for the canon 10D? And the color coverups you speak of, any leads on those?

again, i apologize for all the questions, I'm so new to this...I just want to get the right gear...thanks again...

bv

I have two Canon flashes a new 220EX ($110) and an older 430EZ. Both are very good, but I prefer the smaller 220EX it’s not so overpowering, it fully automatic, the 430EZ can be set to lower power but I always forget

excellent...thanks. i was actually looking at the 420ex and the 520ex. there is a pretty significant price difference, is the 520 really worth the extra money? does it have that many extra options?

again, thank you all so much....
- bv

Most reactions

Back