canon 10d

Tyboarder57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone thought this camera was a worth while beginner, if looked at some reviews and from what i got from it its a great starter DSLR and the only difference between it and the 20d is a larger sensor and some cool add-ons.

The 10d while about four years old is still an excellent dSLR and I believe at least one of the regulars here uses one with great results. However I'm curious as to why you're interested in the 10d as a 'beginner' camera rather than the newer 350d or 400d. Is it because these lack something, or have you just found a 10d for a particularly good price?

A 10D is great, and if you can get one for a good price, go for it. They have a nicer build than any of the Rebels. The image quality of the 10D's sensor is fantastic, and you'll enter into the Canon line of equipment, which features great lenses and accessories.

The one lacking trait (if you can call it that) of the 10D, is that it wasn't made to be compatible with Canon's EF-S lenses...while all the Digital Rebels, 20D, 30D etc. are. Although, that shouldn't be a real problem...I think the 'digital' lenses from other companies will work fine.

Big mike makes a good point - the crop factor and lack of EF-S lenses means it will probably be expensive to get a wide angle shot since you'll have to buy an expensive lens along the lines of Canon 17-40 or even 16-35. Other manufacturer's will be cheaper but the quality may not be as good.

If landscapes and wide angles aren't your thing then you'll be laughing - a great camera and wide selection of lenses.

Big mike makes a good point - the crop factor and lack of EF-S lenses means it will probably be expensive to get a wide angle shot since you'll have to buy an expensive lens along the lines of Canon 17-40 or even 16-35. Other manufacturer's will be cheaper but the quality may not be as good.
Not necessarily, lenses like the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 or the 18-70 F2.8-4...are all pretty good lenses that are much cheaper than the Canon 17-40 L or 16-35 L.

I use the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8~4 and I find it's quality to be fantastic. I read many many reviews before purchasing it, as I was considering the 17-40. It seemed to be reviewed higher.

I personally am avoiding any EF-S glass.

Not necessarily, lenses like the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 or the 18-70 F2.8-4...are all pretty good lenses that are much cheaper than the Canon 17-40 L or 16-35 L.

how do the lenses you mention rank in quality when compared to the Canon 17-40 f4 or 16-35 f2.8?
I imagined that they'd be good but not quite AS good as the canon branded ones.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 10D has significant noise at high ISO, in line with the 300D. The 20D & 30D perform a lot better with ISO 400 and up.

That's the one Darich. I would debate that statement Azuth. Yes, the 20D and 30D perform better at high ISO, but the 10D does not have "sigficant" noise. I find the 300D/10D to perform better at high ISOs than any of the current Nikon's in my personal opinion.

MAtts got a point,

I've got a 300d with the 10D firmware hack, its quite useable @ 200 and 400

but after 400, you can always convert to black and white and its got a artistic look to it....

I'd say get it, save the extra money for lenses...and youll always have a great backup camera for the day you buy your 30D/5D . The time you would save up for a 30D/5D your wasting valuable learning time...

Or get a used 20D, good price point, but if the 10D is like 400$ jump on it.

does anyone think that its a better choice than the d50? or is that another question of preference

Most reactions

New Topics

Back