Canon 10s - what is this button?

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_4904-resized.jpg

See that little red button in the lower right corner of the image? Does anybody know what it does?

I don't have a manual for this camera, and the closest I've been able to find is this online manual, which is actually pretty good except that they make no mention of this button.

From what I can tell it doesn't do anything (but it's there, so it has to do something - right?). It's not a DOF preview button, it's not focus or exposure lock, it's not mirror lock.

There is very little information on the 10s online. I don't know where else to look. It's just frustrating having a button on your camera that you can't figure out what it does.

I'm *almost* tempted to take the camera apart and see where the wires for that button are going... But I don't need to know what it does that bad yet...

Last edited:
Well, you got me curious.... Here's what I found... Interesting...:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Source: http://photonotes.org/manuals/eos-elan/

Using the barcode reader.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]To use the barcode reader turn the command dial to a PIC setting. You can input a barcode into the custom barcode setting or you can overwrite the default portrait, landscape, closeup and sports modes with your own barcode if you like. This is handy, since it means you can replace any PIC mode you don’t like with your own barcode. And also one advantage of the Elan/100 over the 10/10s, which can only let you set one barcode program at a time.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Find a barcode and scan it in. Hold the scanner nearly vertical and press the button, then swipe the tip across the paper, starting from the white square and moving to the right. Make sure it touches the paper itself. If the scanner’s tip light doesn’t illuminate when you press the button then the batteries are missing or dead. The scanner will beep if the code is entered correctly.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Press the round output end of the scanner against the barcode receiver on the camera body. [/i](it’s the translucent red button on the right side of the camera, looking from the back)[/i] Press the barcode into the body and push the barcode’s button at the same time. If you do it right (it’s easier with both hands) the camera will beep twice. The barcode that you’ve entered will appear in the display. (eg: P72 or whatever)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Turning the command dial to this setting will now engage whatever program you’ve installed. If you want to reset the program to the default setting for that command dial setting just enter the “reset” barcode that’s printed in the manual. If you don’t have the manual just print out the barcode 1320000000805000 using Interleaved 2 of 5 and use that. The barcode setting is set to default when the LCD displays “P00”, and the default barcode setting is identical to full auto mode.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes, its the infra red port for the barcode reader I have one for my EOS 100 - never used it though. I do believe that on the 100 it doubles as a receiver for the infra red remote release - can't remember the model number but it's the same one as the 300D - might do the 10s as well

LOL, the answer was in the link I posted... Can't believe I missed that.

I must have just skimmed over the barcode reader section.

So I guess when you press the tip of the scanner in there it transmits the code to the camera. I always thought the scanner just connected with a cord.

I'm confused... why would you want to read bar codes with a camera?

It's a new (at the time) feature that never caught on. Basically you would have a book full of barcodes, you scan one, input it into the camera, and it changes the settings to reflect that particular barcode. They're presets, basically.

It's a new (at the time) feature that never caught on. Basically you would have a book full of barcodes, you scan one, input it into the camera, and it changes the settings to reflect that particular barcode. They're presets, basically.

ooo... like a precursor to ADOBE ACTIONZZZZ!!!!

I wonder if people sold books of them for $90 per page. :roll:

Most reactions

Back