Canon 1300D vs Nikon D3300

Marcus09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this forum and I am about to buy my 1st DSLR. Long time ago, I had a film SLR, the Canon 3000N.
As a beginner, I am down to 2 models: the Canon 1300D & Nikon D3300.
Which do you think is better?
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The better one is the one that appeals to you more.

So they're very close? They're really the same. I'm more a Canon guy. Maybe I'll stick to it. Thanks :)

I don't know that they are the same. It is probably reasonable to call them comparable. Either will get the job done and provide entry into a broad array of system components.

Canon T6 or 1300D has the old 18MP sensor which was out to the market with the T2i, old sensor, old technology, its almost 7 years old, still capable but it sure shows its age.
Nikon D3300 is also a base model but has a thoroughly modern sensor.
It has better dynamic range, better lower light performance, better auto focus, more resolution, can potentially produce sharper images.
Its simply a better camera!

Saying that the T6 can produce good images because at the end of the day user skills are determining more then anything else.

Canon T6 or 1300D has the old 18MP sensor which was out to the market with the T2i, old sensor, old technology, its almost 7 years old, still capable but it sure shows its age.
It has better dynamic range, better lower light performance, better auto focus, more resolution, can potentially produce sharper images.

Saying that the T6 can produce good images because at the end of the day user skills are determining more then anything else.

The thing is, I'm moving up from iPhone 6S. I think I'll find much better results in both cases, right? Still, I think I'll follow your advice and go with the Nikon.
Thanks mate.

Last edited:

The thing is, I'm moving up from iPhone 6S. I think I'll find much better results in both cases, right? Still, I think I'll follow your advice and go with the Nikon.
Thanks mate.

Well moving from cell phone to a modern DSLR you are looking at a big upgrade.
Still, if you want to get best bang for the buck Nikon D3300 in my eyes is the best camera you can buy.
It has a thoroughly modern Sony sensor in it with 24MP (vs 18MP on the T6) has its AA filter removed which potentially can give you sharper images, considerably better low light performance, better dynamic range and more.......well I said it all before :)

Remember though, to get good pictures the MOST important thing is you skills and that's something you will need to work on, good pictures are first the testimony of good user and less of the equipment.
Also lenses are extremely important, get kit lens and then maybe a Nikon 50mm 1.8G which is a good general use lens which will be very helpful in low light situation and for portraits when you want to blur the background.

The Nikon is technically more capable, but that doesn't mean much. In due time you'll probably upgrade to something with more direct controls, and then Canon's offering doesn't pale as much by comparison. For all intents and purposes, the better camera of these two is the one that feels more comfortable in your hands / to use.

The Nikon is technically more capable, but that doesn't mean much. In due time you'll probably upgrade to something with more direct controls, and then Canon's offering doesn't pale as much by comparison. For all intents and purposes, the better camera of these two is the one that feels more comfortable in your hands / to use.
As I said skills are the most important factor but that doesn't mean technical stuff isn't important.
When you go to shoot in low light condition hand heald technical is important for low light performance.
When you want to recover details in shadow area in RAW technical is important and lots more, at that the D3300 wins having the more modern and superior sensor.
This doesn't mean how camera feels in the hand isn't important, it is of course but honestly these cameras are so a like.
I played few times with Canon and I felt right at home like with my Nikon, all designed to be easy to use.

I made the move and got the Canon for more ease of use and lens availability compared to the Nikon. Also, I was stunned by the picture quality when I tried it at home! (It's more than enough) Last time I had an SLR was the Canon 3000N. My iPhone 6S has a 12 mpx censor and it doesn't even match the 18 of my Canon. I am very happy with my purchase and it felt like home with the Canon menu that I was used to (I also have the Canon SX130 IS).
Also, one more feature that I liked was the wifi capability and the ability to save pictures in my iPhone and also use the iPhone as a viewfinder which is very practical since the Canon's screen is fixed.

I made the move and got the Canon for more ease of use and lens availability compared to the Nikon. Also, I was stunned by the picture quality when I tried it at home! (It's more than enough) Last time I had an SLR was the Canon 3000N. My iPhone 6S has a 12 mpx censor and it doesn't even match the 18 of my Canon. I am very happy with my purchase and it felt like home with the Canon menu that I was used to (I also have the Canon SX130 IS).
Also, one more feature that I liked was the wifi capability and the ability to save pictures in my iPhone and also use the iPhone as a viewfinder which is very practical since the Canon's screen is fixed.

right, Canon will generally give you the better "IQ" image quality and megapixels is more of a marketing strategy.
Lens quality, availability, selection and lower cost from Canon - that's certainly real
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Last edited:
The Canon will absolutely not give you better image quality. In fact especially in entry level aps-c the Nikon will give you better image quality than its Canon counterpart. It also handles low light situations more effectively.

Lens quality, availability and cost between Canon and Nikon are pretty close. In a few areas Nikon has the edge, in a few others Canon but overall on the whole I'd say it's pretty much a tie between the two.

What I recommend is that you look not just at the camera you plan to buy now but at all of the cameras offered by both and compare their features. Ask yourself what is most important to you and what camera your most likely to want next. Don't think of it as just buying a camera, think of it as investing in a whole system.

Canon might well be a good choice for you, but make the choice wisely based on facts. Not based on misinformation.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

right, Canon will generally give you the better "IQ" image quality and megapixels is more of a marketing strategy.
Lens quality, availability, selection and lower cost from Canon - that's certainly real

Everything you just posted is disputed by real facts.

Everything posted here by the fanboys is disputed by the working photographers making a living selling their photos. Every make is represented in the mix. Canon and Nikon dominate due to the completeness of their systems, but they are all being used successfully.

right, Canon will generally give you the better "IQ" image quality
You keep repeating this, even though it's not true at all. Currently, Nikon tends to use better sensors, but that can always change. They tend to leapfrog each other every few years.

megapixels is more of a marketing strategy.
… which Canon uses most effectively, pushing the Canon 5DS to 50 megapixels.

• Quality — Nikon's comparable lenses are just as good.
  • Availability — Depends on market.
  • Selection — Depends on a user's needs. Most any use case is covered by both, and third parties have filled many gaps.
  • Lower cost — It sure seems to be this way, but it could also depend on market/region.
OP, please ignore all fanboy-ism on either side. Look at facts, and form your own opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back