Canon 17-40 f/4L For Group Shots

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I have this lens and have only used it for landscape shots. I've seen examples where using this lens to take a portrait shot of a person with them standing say 3 feet away or so, distorts their faces.

If I used this lens for group shots, say between 4 and 6 people, standing about 10 feet away using whatever focal length, would this cause the same distortion?

Thanks,
Danny

All wide angle lenses will cause that distortion, and being closer to the subject will amplify it's perceived effect... that being said, if you shoot toward the longer end of it, above 28-30mm say, I think you'll be happy with the results from 10 feet. (assuming a crop sensor, on a full frame much less of the range would be ideal for that type of shot).

It's not like there's some threshold focal length where the distortion starts though. How you pose the group, and compose the shot, and also your personal preference will determine if it's "too distorted" or not. You can do some test shots with 2 people at the edges of the frame, as that's where the distortion will be most noticeable. Anybody standing between them will be effected less.

All wide angle lenses will cause that distortion, and being closer to the subject will amplify it's perceived effect... that being said, if you shoot toward the longer end of it, above 28-30mm say, I think you'll be happy with the results from 10 feet. (assuming a crop sensor, on a full frame much less of the range would be ideal for that type of shot).

It's not like there's some threshold focal length where the distortion starts though. How you pose the group, and compose the shot, and also your personal preference will determine if it's "too distorted" or not. You can do some test shots with 2 people at the edges of the frame, as that's where the distortion will be most noticeable. Anybody standing between them will be effected less.

I'm shooting with an XSI. Thanks for the tip. I will try this tonight.

Danny

Longer focal length = less distortion.

I shoot portraits with my 17-40 and use the distortion on purpose for certain photos. I love WA lenses.

I shoot portraits with my 17-40 and use the distortion on purpose for certain photos. I love WA lenses.

I was trying to figure out in which type of portrait shot you would want distortion. How would you use this?

Danny

I was trying to figure out in which type of portrait shot you would want distortion. How would you use this?

Danny

This was shot with a Sigma 10-20 on a 30D @ 14mm. It depends on your vision for the photo. This was for a tattoo studio and they wanted something fun, so I came up with the idea for this and tried it. With a longer focal length and less distortion, I think it would have been a boring shot.

This was shot with a 17-40 f/4L, probably at 17 or close to it. The girl was in a few videos for Rad Girls, which is like a female jackass crew, so I wanted something that looked cartoonish and off the wall.

This was with a Sigma 10-20 on a 30D @ 12mm. You can actually learn to control the distortion be how far away your subject is along with where they're placed in the frame and the angle you're shooting at. I wanted to have the look of a large open space with a big mass of dress surrounding her.

Danny

This was shot with a Sigma 10-20 on a 30D @ 14mm. It depends on your vision for the photo. This was for a tattoo studio and they wanted something fun, so I came up with the idea for this and tried it. With a longer focal length and less distortion, I think it would have been a boring shot.

This was shot with a 17-40 f/4L, probably at 17 or close to it. The girl was in a few videos for Rad Girls, which is like a female jackass crew, so I wanted something that looked cartoonish and off the wall.

This was with a Sigma 10-20 on a 30D @ 12mm. You can actually learn to control the distortion be how far away your subject is along with where they're placed in the frame and the angle you're shooting at. I wanted to have the look of a large open space with a big mass of dress surrounding her.

Very cool shots! Love the first chick's junk. :)

Thanks,
Danny

So I took some shots with my 17-40 lens and the photos were amazingly sharp. I was about maybe 6 feet away from my subject at about 25mm (x1.6) and there was no distortion at all.

My settings were 1/200 f/8 ISO100

Danny

So I took some shots with my 17-40 lens and the photos were amazingly sharp. I was about maybe 6 feet away from my subject at about 25mm (x1.6) and there was no distortion at all.

Danny

It's when the focal length starts getting wider. Try a WA lens made for a crop sensor, like a Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22 or any of the other ones. Getting close to 10mm gives you a lot of distortion.

Danny

It's when the focal length starts getting wider. Try a WA lens made for a crop sensor, like a Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22 or any of the other ones. Getting close to 10mm gives you a lot of distortion.

I see what you mean, but for my use, it's perfect. I guess right now, I'm not too worried about creatively distorting a subject. :) I'm more worried about getting the right exposure with my light setup right now.

Danny

1 is fun. I like it!

Danny

Thanks,
Danny

1 is fun and nicely lit/composed. I like that.

Thanks,
Danny
[/QUOTE]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back