Canon 17-40L or sigma 17-50. Need help deciding

JohnTrav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
So the title pretty much says it. I am stuck between the decision if the two lenses.

Canon 17-40 f/4 L
Sigma 17-50 f/2.8

I have a canon 7D right now that I shoot with but within the next year or so I plan to purchase a full frame camera.

I shoot landscape. Sports, family events, an the occasional parties (weddings, anniversaries, grad parties, etc).

I am leaning more towards the 17-40 because I plan on getting a full frame and I do not want to have to buy a new lens for it once I get it. But in the other hand the f/2.8 would be nice also the extra 10mm of zoom. Tough decision to make. Also when I do shoot at events am stuff I have a tripod handy and I also shoot with a speed light flash. Most of the time I don't shoot any wider than f/4 anyway. Occasionally I like to stop down.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I had a 17-40 and it produces some great images, very sharp and contrasty. I used it on a 5d. The fact that it is only f4 wasn't a problem at all. I am not familiar with the sigma.

I will say this though, you WON"T regret going FF, so the canon is probably your best option.

I had a 17-40 and it produces some great images, very sharp and contrasty. I used it on a 5d. The fact that it is only f4 wasn't a problem at all. I am not familiar with the sigma.

I will say this though, you WON"T regret going FF, so the canon is probably your best option.

That's what I am leaning more towards.

I know I won't regret going full frame. I can't wait. Have to get the money though. Right now glass is more important to me than a ff body. Once I buy a couple more lenses I will save up for a 5Diii.

FF will be great for portrait work when I am out at events.

Most reactions

Back