Canon 17-490mm L

iNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should have posted my original post about the 70-200 f4 L, sorry for that. I was originally considering that lens but after some more thought and research I'm feeling more confident that the 17-40mmL is the lens for me. Anyone have experience with this lens on a crop body? Whats the average craigslist price on it? any advice would be great. would also love to see the results you guys have gotten with it on a crop body. I don't plan to purchase it for about another month or 2 so ill be hanging around a bit, may bump once or twice. Thanks!

I use it on my 7D (where it's effectively a 28-65) as well as my 1Ds and 1D, and it's pin sharp pretty much right across the range. It's not quite as wide as i'd like on the 1.6x crop of the 7D, but i'll pick up the 8-15 for that. Depends what sort of stuff you photograph.

The 70-200 F4 L non IS version will be difficult to handhold in anything but perfect light, the IS on a telephoto lens specially if its an F4 comes in very very handy nowadays (pardon the pun). I know on my 70-300 VR, the VR makes a huge difference and I get away with shooting at shutter speeds sometimes at 300mm that astound me. So unless you have enough for the 70-200 F4 Image stabilised version then I would definitely go for the 17-40.

I love 17-40 lens, but it is not wide enough for me on a crop body. I have the canon 10-22 for my 40D. If the FOV that penfoldordo indicates is your desired range, then you will be happy with 17-40.

Thanks guys. Ill be mainly using the lens as my walk around lens so it won't bother me if it's not SUPER wide. Im not big on landscapes but it'll be nice to have something wider than my 50mm. I would also like to use it for portraiture and street stuff.

i want a 17-490L!!! I wont need any other lenses LOL

The 17-40L is a fantastic lens! I use it on my 50d and 7d all the time its my go to lens for landscapes , parties, and vacations. It has some slight distortion at 17 and its fairly slow at f4. But the lens is very sharp on my cameras. Like I said sometimes I do wish it was F2.8 but the 16-35 F2.8 is double in price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back