canon 17-55 2.8 is Dust normal?

horseracingfreak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i know theres an expression "you get what you pay for" that being said, i cant afford to buy this lense new. theres a guy on craigslist selling a used one for a good price.
he states that the lense has "minor dust behind front lense element" and that this has zero effect on image quality and that canon has said the same thing and doesnt recommend having it cleaned
being the always skeptical person I am, wanted the people heres opinions since none of you have a dog in the fight so to speak. would you be concerned about this?
on the one hand, the fact the guy is honest upfront about it makes me tend to believe it, but going back to the "you get what you pay for" addage, i wanted 2nd,3rd etc opinions
THANK YOU for your input guys/gals

I do not own that lens. But from what I read in the past, this particular lens has history of dust get inside the lens. Google "efs 17-55mm f/2.8 is usm dust" should give you a lot of information regarding dust issue with that lens.
So it seems to me that even if you buy the lens as new, you will still have a high chance to face the same issue. If the price is good and the seller allow you to take a look at it so that you can take some sample photos, I do not see why not.

Last edited:
Yes, this is normal.
This is a common complaint with that lens which has no relevance. It is not of 'L' build and dust will get in.
But I also have dust particles inside my 'L' lens. If you use your stuff it's going to happen.
It is not an issue. I've had this lens for years now. It stays on my camera 80% of the time. I love it and do not notice the little amount of dust that's in there. Don't let that scare you.

Some food for thought though - If I were in the market for that focal length again, I'd be strongly tempted to go with the newer 15-85.
After some time now, I find myself using my flash gun and f/8 more than ambient and f2.8.
The 15-85's zoom covers a little more distance and would seemingly be a fabulous walk around for a crop sensor.
That being said, my intent for this lens was for family type pics, parties and holidays, not to be artsy and looking for bokeh, so your mileage my vary.

My experience is that internal dust does not seem to have any effect on performance, but it has a terrible psychological effect on many people. The less-experienced a photographer is with lenses, the more-likely he'll be obsessed with tiny dust specks. It seems that some OCD-type people get realllllly freaked out about it.

Through a rare "fabulous deal", I have come to own two 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S Nikkor lenses; one made at the very start of the lens's production, in 1982, and one made in the early 2000's. The older one was carried in some incredibly dusty conditions and used heavily,and has a LOT OF DUST inside. The other lens has barely left the house. Performance is indistinguishable between the two lenses.

Eventually dust accumulation will affect performance by reducing the amount of light that can get through the lens.

Even Canon L lenses are only moisturer and dust resistant.

And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

THANK YOU to everyone that replied. I love coming here for input and advice. ive never gotten bad advice

Eventually dust accumulation will affect performance by reducing the amount of light that can get through the lens.
Long before that's noticeable, you'll have IQ degradation. Just like with cracked or scratched glass.

Even Canon L lenses are only moisturer and dust resistant.
Some more than others.

Most reactions

Back