canon 17-55 f2.8 vs 24-105 f4..which one?

horseracingfreak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys/gals
love coming here because ive yet to get any input i didn't find useful so with that in mind, heres my question. i had..and sold..a NON canon 17-50 2.8 lense because i was having issues with it and learned the hard way to stick with canon lenses...my plan was to buy the canon 17-55 2.8is lense to replace the non canon one i had before..seems simple enough right? same range, better product..lesson learned
well, ive got..if i want it.. a 24-105 f4 dropped in my lap for the same price. admit both are used but in flawless condition.
i know the 24-105 with f-4 will be a tad less effective in low light then the 2.8 17-55..however, with the bottom end range fairly close but the top end nearly double with 105 vs 55,im wondering if i wouldnt do better to get the 24-105?
should be noted i also have a 10-22mm 1-3.5-4.5 in my bag so ive pretty well got the low end covered..
i seldom shoot indoors and even less seldom in poor light so, for the same price, i'd appreciate everyone's thoughts
what WOULD YOU DO??

thanks guys/gals

I had to make the same choice a couple if years ago. I went with the 17-55. The focal range was very good for a walk around lens and the constant 2.8 was really nice. That lens will go down as one of my absolute favorite lenses. That being said I have to consider your situation. You have the wide side covered but the 17/55 will blow the 10-22 away in image quality . That's just my opinion and i have shot both. I also believe the 17/55 will give you better I.q over the 24-105 (again my opinion). But the extra reach is very appealing. If it was me I would go with the 17/55 and save up for the 70-200 2.8mrkII. That would give you some good coverage. You could even sell the 10-22 unless you just felt like you had to go that wide and put that money towards the. 70-200.

Do you mind changing lenses when required? You already said it's mostly outdoor stuff you do and not so much in low light. I am slow usually to recommend the 24-105mm solely as a walk around lens on a crop bit in your case due your explanation of how you use the camera I would go for the 24-105mm giving you ppretty much full cover from 10-105mm. The 17-55 is only better for you if you need f2.8, and you pretty much say it's not critical. Enjoy whichever one you do go for

Base on my own shooting preference, I will pick the 17-55mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back