Canon 1d mark II outdated or still a contender?

y75stingray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok got a question for the 1d users out there. I have been shooting with a Canon 5d Mark II for about two years now. I wish it actually belonged to me but it's my work camera. I love this camera it is my life. I can't afford to buy a 5d mark II but I can afford a used 1d mark ii I understand this format is a bit old but is it still worth the money? I have found them for around $750.00 "i have plenty of canon glass so i would like to keep it a canon format" Is there a better chouce than this in that price range?

My professor in college has Norman gear that's like 20 yrs old. He is still rockin a 5d. He also still shoots with a 1ds. No I didn't forget the mark whatever behind those two models. He's rockin series one cameras he does a lot of commercial work with both cameras. Stuff u have probably seen. I assisted him on a shoot he did for a big bicycle company. A well known bike company. They didn't care about his gear bro the only thing they where worried about was the output. I've shot with his 1d which I'm assuming is much inferior to the mark 2 and I'm going to be honest this 10 Meg mark 1 was awesome it had a really soft look to it that I really liked. A little off topic but the 1 series no matter what mark they are are just that canons pro series cameras that if you know what you are doing will give you great results.

thanks for the reply, What your saying is what i have been thinking for the most part and after reading reviews of the id markII i will most likley pick one up.

Another 1D II fan here. The only reason I temporarily stopped shooting it is because I picked up a 5D II and haven't been able to put it down. I've been asked to shoot golf on Saturday, and while I have absolutely no idea how I am going to do it, for the action swing shots I will be breaking out the 1D II for the work. The output is razor sharp when paired with my 70-200 II and I'm hoping its fps speed and awesome focusing will help me more than the gigantic image quality of the 5D II.

Good luck whatever the choice!

Last edited:
I have a 5D classic, same sensor as the 1Ds Mark II? One of the 1 series, I'm impressed. It comprehensively annihilates every consumer body I've ever shot. Tack sharp images sharper than anything I've processed out of my Rebel. I'm not knocking the Rebel, for what it is, it's a great rig. But comparing it to a 5D or any 1 series is like comparing a Mustang to an F15. Get the Mark II.

Most reactions

Back