Canon 1D mark ii

gtaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have located a "vintage" 1D mark ii for around $400 and am seriously considering purchasing it. Am I crazy for even thinking about getting a 10 year old camera with who knows how many actuations?

Input appreciated.

I shot with one for a long time.... I loved it. AF was outstanding. Metering was very good; 8x multispot. Didn't hesitate using it in wet conditions with a sealed lens. I only sold it because I was downsizing. Yes.. its a hefty camera body. Of course, don't expect high ISO performance like modern cameras.... that's the nature of technology. The UI is somewhat different than most Canon's... two button pushes for setting changes. I adjusted quite quickly. Its also not quite a FF camera but not EFS compatible. LCD is going to be significantly less quality than what you see today... but I'm not one to really care.

One thing to note that many people miss.

The 1DmarkII uses NiMH batteries NOT Li-Ion like the more modern cameras do. They do require a bit of maintenance to keep them "healthy". Cycles can take a long time. They also loose charge sitting over time. There have been times that I grabbed the camera on a whim only to realize I had batteries that were at 50% or less. A fully charged battery will last through a lot of frames... Battery charger it comes with can cycle two batteries at the same time. My two relatively newish batteries fully charged would last me a weekend trip... I wouldn't even bring the charger.

IIRC, you should be able to determine the number of actuations on the camera. Search for the instructions.

Last edited:
I couldn't recommend one enough at current prices. I bought one a few months ago. It is great. Even the ISO which isnt its strongest point allows usage up to its expanded 3200 setting with a bit of pp

What do you shoot most frequently? The 1dii is a solid camera, but it is quite out-dated technologically. I wouldn't plan to shoot above iso 800, which, for me, is a real hindrance. The only way I'd recommend getting one is if you shoot a lot of sports outside during the day. Otherwise, the camera's limitations are going to give you problems that could be better solved with a newer camera body. (I'd suspect that even a used 60d would perform better for what 90% of what most people shoot.)

Derrel will be along soon to tell you it is crap, this is one i took with it

Jasaon%20Robinson%201-XL.jpg

But can you take a rockin' picture of a shirtless kid eating out of a bowl.

You know, "pushing the envelope" kinda' stuff...

This was a great Canon camera. It came before the IIn iteration, and was well before the 1D Mark III [AKA the camera-that-would-not-autofocus right.]

If you wanted a Canon that could actually focus, you bought the 1D Mark II or the newer, 1D Mark IIn, and let the bad Mark III cameras go back to Canon over and over and over...

Rob Galbraith DPI: May 29, 2009 update

The 1D Mark III was the camera that sent so,so many pro sports shooters over to the Nikon D3 and D3s...

The Mark II was a good camera back in the day when 8 megapixels was considered enough.

I used a Mkll for a lot of years, replaced the shutter once, and ran over 250k through the new shutter before it came apart as well. It was a beautiful camera to use. I couldn't be bothered to have another shutter replaced, so now it is a doorstop with my other 2 1D bodies.

The mklll was garbage.

Some of my best images were shot using a 1D and a 1D mkll, while I like the idea of having 22-24megapixels, when I want to crop, it has a way of making people lazy by saying "I don't have to shoot as tight or as well, I have more to work with". Having only 8megapixelas to work with was just fine for every photojournalist assignment including sports, it just meant making sure the original image was as close to correct coming out of the camera.

This thought that more is better is very misguided. It still comes down to the quality of the original image.

This was a great Canon camera. It came before the IIn iteration, and was well before the 1D Mark III [AKA the camera-that-would-not-autofocus right.]

If you wanted a Canon that could actually focus, you bought the 1D Mark II or the newer, 1D Mark IIn, and let the bad Mark III cameras go back to Canon over and over and over...

Rob Galbraith DPI: May 29, 2009 update

The 1D Mark III was the camera that sent so,so many pro sports shooters over to the Nikon D3 and D3s...

The Mark II was a good camera back in the day when 8 megapixels was considered enough.

It still is enough

Most reactions

Back