Canon 1D mark ii

Derrel will be along soon to tell you it is crap, this is one i took with it

Jasaon%20Robinson%201-XL.jpg

You didn't take that. It's not on film from 1776

A guitar salesman talking about "truth"....lol!! You sell overpriced guitars, and dreams, to people who can barely play.

The 1D Mark II was a great camera. Fast, responsive, solid build. It's probably a good camera for taking pictures of old rusting cars in front of ramshackle buildings, and applying heavy-handed HDR treatment, then hoping to sell the occasional print to tasteless young hispters who just ,"Love the look of HDR landscapes from old Indian reservation homes!"

For publication, the halftone screen kills most of the acuity of any camera, so even an old Nikon D1 series 2.7, or or D2h's 4.2-megapixel image is plenty for a double-truck in a magazine; 8 MP is plenty when the image is printed on newsprint. At least, as long as it is in focus. Images printed on newsprint don't need to be very big, or very high-rez. Just sharpen them up a lot, make sure the black point is set right so the dot gain doesn't plug up the low tones, and voila! Great images. At least, as long as the camera can focus right. Which is why Canon had to stop making the 1D Mark III--they brought in an all-new focusing system, which basically, could not focus right much of the time.

A guitar salesman talking about "truth"....lol!! You sell overpriced guitars, and dreams, to people who can barely play.

Maybe you haven't been keeping up, Chief.

I'm not in the guitar business anymore. I'm doing photography, full time, and being paid well for it. Seriously, your obsession with me, and what I do, is bordering on something clinical.

But, since you want to talk about "overpriced", let's talk about some internet know-it-all who buys a high-dollar camera to impress people with, and then posts pictures of glasses, street signs, someone taking a picture of someone else on a beach and a pizza.

WTF, Derrel? Where's all of the "pushing the envelope" stuff you bought that fancy camera for?

The 1D Mark II was a great camera. Fast, responsive, solid build. It's probably a good camera for taking pictures of old rusting cars in front of ramshackle buildings, and applying heavy-handed HDR treatment, then hoping to sell the occasional print to tasteless young hispters who just ,"Love the look of HDR landscapes from old Indian reservation homes!"

I'd rather see HDR stuff than "cryogenic bubblewrap"...

For publication, the halftone screen kills most of the acuity of any camera, so even an old Nikon D1 series 2.7, or or D2h's 4.2-megapixel image is plenty for a double-truck in a magazine; 8 MP is plenty when the image is printed on newsprint. At least, as long as it is in focus. Images printed on newsprint don't need to be very big, or very high-rez. Just sharpen them up a lot, make sure the black point is set right so the dot gain doesn't plug up the low tones, and voila! Great images. At least, as long as the camera can focus right. Which is why Canon had to stop making the 1D Mark III--they brought in an all-new focusing system, which basically, could not focus right much of the time.

You make me, and others, laugh. You're amusing. For that reason alone I'm enjoying this exchange.

While it's pretty clear that you like to spend an inordinate amount of time learning specs of different cameras, you make it more and more painfully obvious that your real world experience is bordering on nil. You talk about "pushing the envelope", but your own uploads are anything but that. Get away from your computer and get out in the real world. Stop taking photos of cats and crushed beer cans.

Post some photos of your "pushing the envelope" stuff.

I mean, you know, you do have that kinda' stuff, right?

Geez Derrel, and I thought the images that I shot with my old 4mp 1D that were used as photo wraps for vans looked great, it appears that I was mistaken. Based on your skill and knowledge I must have been doing something really wrong with the 10's of thousands of images that I shot and sold with 4mp cameras. Again as I stated before, some people believe that more is better, in my case I will take that I have more skill and experience with a camera than you do, and was able some how able to produce great images with fewer megapixels.

Geez Derrel, and I thought the images that I shot with my old 4mp 1D that were used as photo wraps for vans looked great, it appears that I was mistaken. Based on your skill and knowledge I must have been doing something really wrong with the 10's of thousands of images that I shot and sold with 4mp cameras. Again as I stated before, some people believe that more is better, in my case I will take that I have more skill and experience with a camera than you do, and was able some how able to produce great images with fewer megapixels.

Then why are you shooting with a brand new Canon 5D Mark III, imagemaker??

Oh, I forgot...you're one of the best sports shooters in the world, according to your own admission. And you use....a brand-new 23-megapixel camera....and yet we've never heard of you in the USA...

You seem to be yet another guy who says one thing, but does another thing entirely. Why are you shooting with a new, $3,500, high-MP Canon 5D Mark III.

Why are you not using an old, 4-megapixel Canon 1D from 2001? I mean...your sheer,amazing,refined talent behind the lens oughtta', well, you know...allow you to out-shoot anybody in the world, on a consistent basis, no matter the venue...or so I have read from you multiple times on this board...

Amusing how your actions do not match up with your words. Why don't you go to another thread and attack your old buddy f/2.8??? lol

As I said, the 1D mark II was a good camera. Nobody's disputing that. You just seem to need "somebody" to attack as a way to vent your frustrations of being out-competed by younger shooters...maybe work on your reading comprehension, and try and figure out why you are shooting Canon's newest, latest camera...while you're alternately raging about new pros, and also waxing rhapsodic about the "old days"...

Last edited:
Why are you shooting with a new, $3,500, high-MP Canon 5D Mark III.

Why are you shooting with a DX3? To take pictures of the inside of drink cups at McDonald's?

Yeah, way to push the envelope, bro.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, dude, you need to stop. Your criticisms of others, when viewed in the light of the novice-quality photos of your own that you've posted, is making you look sad.

Well, sadder...

I think we are starting to stray a little off track. Please try to keep personal attacks to yourselves.

+1 some of my best shots are with the original 1D, and it still focus with all the **** flying

Image00097-XL.jpg

Then why are you shooting with a brand new Canon 5D Mark III, imagemaker??

Oh, I forgot...you're one of the best sports shooters in the world, according to your own admission. And you use....a brand-new 23-megapixel camera....and yet we've never heard of you in the USA...

You seem to be yet another guy who says one thing, but does another thing entirely. Why are you shooting with a new, $3,500, high-MP Canon 5D Mark III.

Why are you not using an old, 4-megapixel Canon 1D from 2001? I mean...your sheer,amazing,refined talent behind the lens oughtta', well, you know...allow you to out-shoot anybody in the world, on a consistent basis, no matter the venue...or so I have read from you multiple times on this board...

Amusing how your actions do not match up with your words. Why don't you go to another thread and attack your old buddy f/2.8??? lol

As I said, the 1D mark II was a good camera. Nobody's disputing that. You just seem to need "somebody" to attack as a way to vent your frustrations of being out-competed by younger shooters...maybe work on your reading comprehension, and try and figure out why you are shooting Canon's newest, latest camera...while you're alternately raging about new pros, and also waxing rhapsodic about the "old days"...

Who keeps pissing in your corn flakes? Who really cares if people in the states have never heard of me, what is your point? I will always stand by my abilities with a camera, what difference does it make to you anyway? I know how skilled I am, why shouldn't I have the confidence to admit it.

Do you tell people you have no abilities or skills with a camera? You back up your statements with meaningless words.

Guys... the OP asked a freakin simple question... leave it up to us to turn it into something else.

Other than the UI (two button push actions) and the NiHM battery that I brought up are there any other gotchas the OP should know about?

I agree BTW.. its technology outdated but its more than sufficient for some really good results.

ITT: Three older men arguing about old cameras.

I've never heard of "Imagemaker".

Is he a better than average photographer?

Hell yeah...

Most reactions

Back