Canon 1D MK IV officially released!

Your right but I still think that 5fps would do the job.

Conor:p

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but why buy the mark 4 if the mark 3s is 21 megapixel and at the same 10fps?
I mean it'll still produce the same results if you were to use the same lens on both!

Regards,

Conor
I think you have the products confused.

1D3 = 10fps with a 10MP sensor.
1Ds3 = 5fps with a 21MP sensor.

Two different products intended for two different markets.

The 1D4 has 10fps and is a 1.3x crop sensor body and replaces the 1D3.

The 1Ds4 has yet to be announced but will be a full frame sensor body.

One good feature for sports is that different AF points can be set for virtical or horizontal orientation, so photographers can automatically switch between landscape and potrait shots without touching the buttons

Newermdmike wrote, "most pros have too much invested in glass to change."

But, occasionally, when a real "game-changer" system comes along, pros will change in a heartbeat, especially when new technology means the gear itself will make life easier. This happens every couple of decades.

Graflex,Linhof, Rolleiflex, Leica, Hasselblad, Nikon, Mamiya, Pentax, and Canon have ALL had periods where their products were at the top of the heap and were in favor with professionals and serious shooters of all stripes. The dominance of Leica, Nikon, Hasselblad,and Canon each have been marked by periods of entire decade-long, or two-decade long stints at the top of the heap.

2007 and the Nikon trio of D300, D3, and D700, all with 51-area AF, multiple cross-sensors, and AF that actually works, and with color-aware light metering and color-aware focusing systems, and the Nikon CLS flash system and the concept of putting the "good" technologies into even the entry-level bodies has brought Nikon to its highest point in years.

There are good times to switch. In 1987, Canon had the EOS system,and the cameras were NICE! Strange and new-fangled. Nikon had the N20/20,its first AF body and it was small, cheap-feeling, and lame. By the early 1990's, Nikon had lost a leadership position it had held since 1959.

During the period of 2002 to 2006, a lot of senior level and mid-level Nikon executives were given gold watches early and the new guys and the remaining executives and engineers were told to get their sh!+ together, or else. 2007 was for Canon was very similar to how 1987 was for Nikon.

After all, investment in glass hardly changes -- second hand sells for almost as much as original.

One good feature for sports is that different AF points can be set for virtical or horizontal orientation, so photographers can automatically switch between landscape and potrait shots without touching the buttons

Not really. Canon developed that with fashion and portrait photographers in mind, not sports and photojournalist photographers. It doesn't quite work how you might expect it to, if the 7D is any indication (scroll down to the AF screens at the bottom).

Newermdmike wrote, most pros have too much invested in glass to change.

Professionals are businessmen as well... they have to weight in the cost versus how competitive they want to be in the market. My observations are the opposite... Amateurs are less likely to switch because the investment cost of a system change is significant compared to the income it brings in.... which is NONE. When Nikon started to make headway into high ISO performance while Canon troubleshooted their AF problems, I literally watched Canon photographers switch in a heart beat. There were some awesome deals for Canon shooters looking for used equipment... the local shop I saw this at was making a killing.

I would also surmise the photographers working for a large media corporation don't actually buy their own equipment for work. The cost at that point is even less of a concern.

I would also surmise the photographers working for a large media corporation don't actually buy their own equipment for work. The cost at that point is even less of a concern.
I remembered when the company I work for moved to down town St. Louis. After the grand opening, the local newspaper St. Louis Post Dispatch sent someone here for an interview. At that time (almost 9 years ago), I know nothing about camera stuff but saw the lady carried some camera equipments with her. I asked about how much the camera cost and was told the whole setup with her cost 30 thousands. I was like .. wow ... and she added that ... those are company owned equipment.

Not really. Canon developed that with fashion and portrait photographers in mind, not sports and photojournalist photographers. It doesn't quite work how you might expect it to, if the 7D is any indication (scroll down to the AF screens at the bottom).

The 1DMK4 is solely aimed at sports photographers, i have just read an article in the top pro weekly mag in the UK

Odds & Ends | Canon Rumors

1D Mark IV Ship Date
I’ve heard December 9, 2009 is when the first batch of 1D Mark IV’s will be in the wild. No word on what country(ies) that would be.

[...]

Initial 1D Mark IV Orders

Orders for the 1D Mark IV have been beyond expectations for Canon. They do expect to meet the demand of initial orders.

Most reactions

Back