Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D vs. Rebels

Do you regret moving to an XXD series Canon?

• Total voters
There is no option for me! I went from the Xti to the 5D mark 2. I love it and will never go back! (actually I keep the xti as my P&S option now)

I originally had a 350d, then got a 400d, and then a 40d. I totally love the 40d, but I'm still hanging onto the 350d. Its nice and light, I usually just leave the 50mm 1.8 on it, its almost like a p&s like that. Plus if I drop it or it gets stolen or something then I won't have a nervous breakdown. Also, when I go travelling next year I'll take the 350d, for reasons outlined above but mainly weight and size - to be honest in 90% of situations I can get the same photos as I could with the 40d. Don't even know why I have the 40d really, lol. I just like it :D

Tim -- I recently bought a 450D for personal use and the like. Of course it was a little limiting - but the biggest change? No one asked any questions. :)

Nowadays, they're so easily recognisable... less with the 450D/500D's than Rebel versions, since the 'Rebel' red tag is easier to be seen... so to be recognised, you have to have a big camera, preferably gripped, and just for extra measure, take an L lens with you. ;)

I got my first DSLR recently and decided on a 20D over a 350D ... mostly because of the build quality, and because I have big hands and it's just more comfortable to hold.

As far as the features I actually want to use, there doesn't really seem a big difference in the feature list.

Had XT then XTi, and took the big leap to 5D. I don't know that I will ever go back. I really like have a Full Frame and the color is amazing. I was concerned before I got the 5D about the size as I have some wrist problems, but was amazed at how quickly I adapted to the extra weight. The button lay out on the non Rebel versions seems more logical to me know as well.

On another note, my husband wanted to dabble with photograpy (he mainly does video) and had both T1i and 20D. He decided to go with the 20D because of build quality. He just felt that even if it was an older model it just had a sturdier feel to it. Although that does mean I think I have lost my 50mm 1.8.

I think since the release of the T1i there has been sort of a hybrid/crossbreed in the rebels and XXD's... seeing as many of the internal parts are the same and the fact that you can also shoot video where as many XXD's cannot except for a couple kind of make it the ugly duckling of the bunch. I love my T1i. However I got to play around with a buddies brand new 7D the other day and I must say that camera was awesome! But I also didn't like how HUGE everything about it was... so... like anything, you win some you loose some...

I have a t1i. I have not really used any of the xxD models but did mess with the 50D demo at Best Buy. The major difference to me was the feel. It definately had a nicer feel than the T1i or my previous XS. I know the 50D is better in terms of features as well, but I did not get to test the focus speed or mess with the autofocus points too much. I am very happy with the T1i though. If I was just starting out, I would DEFINATELY rather buy a T1i, a decent lense and flash ( maybe 1 of them used ) instead of paying the price of the 50D. Thats just my opinion though. The only way I am going to move up to the xxD line is if I am going to get a full-framed sensor. ( or if I get an insane deal that I just can't refuse. )

As a 50D owner who picked at rebel models for about 4 years prior to deciding to go digital, I avoided their tiny lightweight bodies like they were the plague once i had held an xxD series. Now keep in mind that i am 6-3 with hands that did not enjoy the rebel cameras, but it was'nt just the feel that made me go bigger/better. It was the features and user friendly controls along with the amazing CF settings which even further enticed me to the D's. To me there is no comparison. If money was the issue i would gowith a used30, 40 or 50D any day over a new rebel. No offense rebel lovers as i am ure you use them well and are happy campers but this is my honest opinion. They have such a nice weight especially when gripped. I even find that camera shake is reduced when holding a heavier body. Just try it out when you get to compare.

If video is so important then fill your boots. But the stats are shoing so far that not many will go from a xxD down to a rebel. Good luck and cheers.

Also why dont you try a poll which compares video to non-video?

Most reactions

Back