Canon 20D problems

HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. Well I was out taking some sunrise shots this morning and I came home to import my photos into my computer. I use a G4 mac to import my RAW files into iPhoto. Anyway the problem is, that my camera wont import the pics. And the cameras screen wont come on so I can't look at pics or go through menu options on the camera or anything.
It wont focus or do anything but the little LCD screen on the top of the camera is still working and lights up orange as usual, Also the LCD screen stays on after the power has been turned off.
Anyone had any similar problems? Maybe its time to send it to canon for a service and clean, its getting close to 2 years old and 10,300 shutter actuations.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

I removed the batterys a couple of times and turned it on and off and it still didnt fix it but then i tried again about 10 mins later and its working fine again.. Hope it doesnt happen again. Im used to my 20D being reliable!

Never run into that problem myself...I hope I never do.

I find that taking the batter out for a while, rather than a few seconds, can sometime help with electronics.

Everyone once and a while, I'll get a similar error where the camera won't respond, and the LCD is stuck on. I normally remove the batteries just for a second, and it works again normally.

Someone else advised to me give the battery contacts and lens contacts a clean. And also to use a card reader to transfer the pics to the computer rather then using the camera itself? Make sense?

Yes, you should definitely use a card reader for xfering pics. There's no reason to use up your batteries for a transfer that can be powered thorugh your usb. Start the card transferring, grab another, and keep shooting :p Always clean the lens contacts, and battery contacts if you notice any problems. A lot of ERROR 99s are caused from dirty lens contacts.

Thanks for the tips Matt!!! Will be buying a card reader asap!
How do I clean the contacts?

A little rubbing alochol would be best, on a qtip or cotton ball. If that doesn't work, an old tooth brush might be helpful to get any grit off of them. If you change lenses a lot, those contacts get exposed to all softs of things, even if you are quick to put the cap on.

Thanks for the tips Matt!!! Will be buying a card reader asap!
How do I clean the contacts?

Never tried,,,but some use a clean, unused pencil eraser.

Most reactions

Back