Canon 24-105 f4 or Tamron 24-70 f2.8?

mpieris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need some help deciding between these two lenses for my next purchase. I have a 5D2 and the wife has a 40D. This will mostly be used on the 40D as I have a 70-200 f2.8 IS II on my 5D2. The purpose of the lens is mainly for travel. Right now she has a kit lens (17-85) and we want to upgrade. The Tamron is a little pricier, but not enough to influence my decision. I've watched and read a lot of great reviews for both. People rave that the 24-105 is one of the all time greats in Canon's line-up. Similarly, a lot of people talk about how great Tamron's 24-70 is with VC. The Tamron has the f2.8 advantage. Not sure how the two compare in IQ. Let me know which one you would choose and why.

I bought the Tamron 24-70 and am very happy with it but I do think the Canon is also a good lens. The Tamron is very sharp and the VC put me over the top as I needed a good hand held lens. Like you I have a 70-200 so did not really need the Canon's slightly longer zoom to 105.

I got the 24-105 with the 5D MKIII and have been very happy. Not sure how much is the lens and how much the camera, (certainly not the photographer), but color, contrast and sharpness has been great.

I don't know how the Tamron VC compares, but with my 24-105 I can easily shoot at 1/8 s handheld (at the 105 end) and even down to 1/2 s in a pinch.

I also own the 24-105, and this lens never leaves my camera.

but color, contrast and sharpness has been great

I agree with this, I have nothing but love for this lens.

Most reactions

Back