BZSPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
I recently sold my 18-135 and bought the 24-105 L lens, and I changed nothing in the way i shoot and yet i am getting a lot of photos that are out of focus. Any one have any clue on what the problem could be?

Side notes:
Lens is clean, no scratches no nothing
USM seems to be working fine, "focuses" quickly
I tried all focusing methods ( AI Focus, AI Servo & One Shot)

Why don't you show an example?

Well, the first thing to do is to put the camera on a tripod and use live-view focusing with manual focus and no IS to ensure that you CAN get sharp images. If you've used any filter over the lens, take it off. Once you've determined that under ideal conditions (good light, tripod, focus achieved manually via live-view, etc.) good resolution can be achieved, turn AF on and again shoot and examine on your computer the resulting shonts. If that image is still good, then turn the IS on, take the camera off the tripod and try to get autofocus on the same target (and from the same point as the tripod shots), but with enough shutter speed to eliminate hand-shake as a possible contributor. Again, download the shots and see if you can see where the focus point actually ends up being.

In my own case, I purchased a 70-200mm f/4 L series lens and had crappy images. Exchanged the lens for another... Still crappy images. Took off the UV filter, which I put on each lens because I was told it was the smart thing to do :blushing:... superb images. Lesson learned. Filters can severely degrade images.

Do your testing by keeping as many possible variables controlled as possible. Vary only one thing at a time, and see if there is any effect on the image. Eventually, you'll find the one that is causing the problems.

There is a Rule of Thumb that if you are shooting hand held, your shutter speed must be 1 over twice your focal length, meaning, if you are shooting at 100 mm focal length, your shutter speed must be at least 1/200sec. If you are shooting below 1/200sec at 100mm focal length, you will definitely get a blur unless you have very stable hands or the camera is resting on a tripod.

There is a Rule of Thumb that if you are shooting hand held, your shutter speed must be 1 over twice your focal length, meaning, if you are shooting at 100 mm focal length, your shutter speed must be at least 1/200sec. If you are shooting below 1/200sec at 100mm focal length, you will definitely get a blur unless you have very stable hands or the camera is resting on a tripod.

thanks i just learned something new here :thumbup:

Did you figure your problem out? Could be a faulty lens.. I own this lens and absolutely love it on my Mark II

Not sure if this helps or not , but I recently picked up what looked like an awesome deal on a greatly used 24-105. Cosmetically it was perfect, but it was soft focusing. I tried ever test and MFA, in the end it was sent in for calibration and indeed out of factory specs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back