Canon 24-70 f/4 IS

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If the 24-70 2.8 II is any indication, I bet this lens is going to be sharp as sh*t. It'll make a GREAT kit lens on a 6D..

If I am not mistaken, Dutch photographer Iwan Baan used the brand-new 24-70/4 IS lens, and the new Canon 1DX to shoot his very well-received Hurricane Sandy shot of a half-illumninated NEW YORK CITY, published this week on the cover of New York Magazine.

He seems to be one of the Canon mouthpiece shooters...he's talking the camera up very "big", saying things like, “[It was] the kind of shot which was impossible to take before this camera was there,” Baan said.

He shot the image from a helicopter (his specialty is shooting from helicopters!!!) wide open, at ISO 25,600, at 1/40 second. As he said, "“With these aerials you shoot a lot, bursts of images, to finally pick one out there which is sharp,” Baan said."

Architecture photographer explains how he got that New York magazine cover shot | Poynter.

As Baan told New York Magazine in this behind-the-scenes article:More Images From New York

"It's quite difficult to shoot from a moving helicopter even during the day because of the vibrations," he said. "It was super dark so I had to shoot with a long shutter time, and I could only do it because I had just gotten the newest Canon" —a 1D X with a 24-70mm lens — "which is more sensitive. I shot between 2,000 and 2,500 shots — 80 percent of the shots are a blur, 10 percent are maybe useable, and 1 percent were really sharp."

The articles I referred to above both refer to the "brand new 24-70", which he has , "just received"...so that makes me think this was a publicity stunt sponsored by one of the Canon Explorers of Light types of shooters...to hype their new 24-70 IS lens....but uh...knowing that 1 percent out of 2,500 frame shot with a short focal length lens at ISO 25,600 makes me think he could have shot the SAME image way back in 2007 with a Nikon D3 and a FAST LENS, at say....1/200 second or so...

I would need one VERY COMPELLING REASON to ditch my 24-105 in favor of 24-70...such as had my 24-105 stolen, or got it so screwed up that Canon wanted $1000 to fix it...

Most reactions

Back