Canon 28mm 1.8

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy a wider lens and I found this one and a good deal $175 but I don't see many people using it for landscape. Should I pass on this?

Yeah, a 6D.

General consensus is "good bang for the buck".

Personally, I would go with something a bit wider ... I like 24mm view better, though you will pay more.

Thanks for the reply. I want to get a good lens for landscape and buy some filters. Just not sure what lens to get.

Sorry, I am not a Canon user ... so I don't have first hand experience ... but I would expect others to pipe in.

Many times, a 28mm will render a scene in a less-distorted manner at the corners/edges of the frame. A 24mm and a 28mm are two, very different lenses. The thing is...each prime lens is "its own thing"...and many,many times too WIDE of a lens angle is as bad as too narrow an angle! Me, personally? I prefer longer lenses for landscapes, for bigger background objects. The 24mm makes things look small and far-away, the 28mm less so,and the 35mm even less so.

This is one of the things that experience teaches; there is not one,right lens length. For some people, 28mm was considered the "true normal lens" length...and I am not kidding about that! But that's a story for another post.

There is a LOT in favor of the 28mm as one's wide-angle lens on 24x36mm capture size cameras.

I ended up with that lens and I like it. But I'm about to purchase the 17-40 f4. Been reading a lot about it and it seems it has it's faults. But still a good buy. Is there another lens that is better then the 17-40 at the $450 price range that I'm over looking or someone could recommend?

I think you can use any lens for landscapes. I think most people promote wide angle but some of the best landscapes I've seen are done with telephoto lens like a 70-200. I use a crop sensor Fujifilm camera and when I go over to the x photographers website, or Flickr, the 55-200 landscapes are impressive. I think it boils down to the scene and experience of what lens you need. I recently been impressed with forest landscapes and the use of a PC lenses, 28, 35, and 85.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back