Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
Well I'm about to take the plunge into a DSLR and I think, after 2 days of non-stop shopping, I've settled on the Canon 300D (or digital rebel as I've seen it called in these forums).

I chose it mainly because I think it has a great quality to price ratio. I also have a couple of Canon lenses from my EOS 100 (I'm pretty sure these will work with the 300D ??) and well I looked at the Nikon equivalent but I prefer the CMOS chip in the Canon and well I have the lenses so... Canon wins out sorry. I even thought about the Canon 20D, but again, I couldn't really justify the price and figured I would maybe upgrade in a year or two.

But is there anything I'm overlooking? Is Canon going to release a newer version of the 300D soon? I think I read somewhere about it but I'm now sure what it's called so I can't look it up (!).

Also, If I do end up getting it, should I get the extra battery pack that goes on the bottom - or is that just unnecessary weight?

And finally, what are your opinions on the Tamron lenses? are they better than the Canon lenses? I read somewhere the old Tamrons are sometimes a bit faulty and the chips don't work.

Thanks,
Vicky

oh I just found something, is the Canon 350D a later release than the 300D? I just don't want to end up with a quickly superseeded model.

Yes, Canon announced the Digital Rebel XT (350D) this weekend. It won't be in stores until March but it's coming. There is a thread on this site somewhere with links to the announcement. I hear that www.dpreview.com has it listed already as well.

I looks to be quite a bit better than the current D Rebel for about the same price. 8.0MP CMOS sensor, custom functions with mirror lock up & flash exposure compensation. It's also 10% lighter and 25% smaller than the current model.

If you plan on getting it...you might want to get on a waiting list...it might be hard to find for the first few weeks/months.

Yes, you can use the same lenses that you use on your EOS 100...keep in mind that the field of view will be different on the D Rebel though. Tamron makes some good lenses, there may be issues with older lenses but newer ones should cause no trouble. Have a look at Sigma as well.

The battery pack may be a good accessory for you. It allows the use of AA batteries and adds some girth to the small body of the camera. It should have a 2nd fire button to use when shooting in portrait orientation. You might want to wait until you can try out the camera with & without it...so you can see which feels better in your hands.

Good luck.

oops sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I didn't notice this forum here. Thanks.

And thanks about the 350. I might just wait then for it to come out... or get a cheap 300 then. Thanks.

hey Big Mike... just wondering whre i can get on a "waiting list" for the 350D? do stores like circuit city do it? or do i have to go through canon or something... thanks :)

Meysha said:
oh I just found something, is the Canon 350D a later release than the 300D? I just don't want to end up with a quickly superseeded model.

I'm afraid that may happen with just about any model you end up getting. Just need to make a choice and go with it. I waited 3 years before finally getting a 10D, then two weeks later the 20D was anounced. I'm still very happy with my 10D and got it for $200.00 less for buying it when I did.

Don't worry so much about having the latest and greatest. You will both drive yourself insane and to the "poorhouse" at the same time.

I don't know for sure...I have read that the big mail order stores like Adorama (use link on bottom of page) will have waiting lists. You might be able to get on a waiting list at a consumer electronics store like Circuit City or Best Buy etc...or at a local camera store. I'd bet that a lot of those stores don't even know it's coming yet so if you walked in and said "I want the first Digital Rebel XT that you get in"...they just might do it for you.

Force of Nature said:
bid deal abouta newer model. The 300d is awesome. Who cares. Its a legend in its own right.

Except that is coming out an extremely decent price, and is 8 megapixel rather than 6....and other adjustments that they made to it as well. I mean sure the 300 is great, but this one is better, smaller, and reasonably price...IMO it is a BIG DEAL :)

i agree... i was reading about it for a while today... and the upgrades are huge IMO. plus the smaller/lighter camera, and for the price... i can't wait :)

so far i haven't heard any bad about it...

I read about the upgrades as well and agree they are huge. I was just going to pick up the Nikon D70 next week and will now wait just a bit longer to get some more reviews and info about the 350. I put myself on the waiting list here in my city just in case and they said it should be in around end March early April.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back