Canon 300mm f/2.8 L USM IS?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any of you wealthy buggers have one?

Is there a massive change between the mkI and the mkII?

Hope I am okay to answer even though I am not close to owning one. It's my dream lens and has been for at least a couple of years.
I know of someone who has the MkI and she still loves it. Fantastic lens as you probably know already.

However, the new one is better in pretty much every way. Even better IQ, better IS, and maybe most notably lighter weight.
Really really want one and if you get one, I may internet hate you forever.

I know for a fact that Canon upgraded the Mark II with 50 percent more "I". So, it is twice as "I" as the earlier model.

Just as an aside, the Mark I versions of this sell at Pro Photo Supply here for $2,750 or so used, the Mark II are more like $3,450 or so when they are available. Which is every time a sports shooter moves to Nikon, or some poor bastard gets hit with divorce papers. The in-store prices on this type of lens is way below what The Big Five web retails ask for the same items.

I know for a fact that Canon upgraded the Mark II with 50 percent more "I". So, it is twice as "I" as the earlier model.

Just as an aside, the Mark I versions of this sell at Pro Photo Supply here for $2,750 or so used, the Mark II are more like $3,450 or so when they are available. Which is every time a sports shooter moves to Nikon, or some poor bastard gets hit with divorce papers. The in-store prices on this type of lens is way below what The Big Five web retails ask for the same items.

Holy crap. If I could get a Mark II for $3450, I would join Ashley Madison and sell my.............

There is very little money here in this part of the USA...this is not like So-Cal...the actual number of buyers here means on big glass, the actual selling price is often $900-$1200 lower than the "Big Five" used prices seen all over the web. For example they have a 600mm f/4 VR Nikkor lens, the new G series, Nano-Crystal coat model, with box and case for $7,950 used. Refurbished that lens is $9,499 or so today with USA warranty at "discount retail", while a new gray market one from 42nd Street photo is $8,799.

Anybody looking to buy big glass, affordably, should look at actual retail outlets that have used or consignment items for sale. Contact them via e-mail or search out their web sites, but just stay away from the five largest dealers' sites if you';re looking for great deals. And keep in mind, this is a buyer;'s market; there is an oversupply of gear on the market now, and actual used prices are dropping as more and more people leave the hobby/profession. Look at Roberts Imaging in Texas, for example, for great, fair prices on used big glass.

Last edited:
I assume it's about the same size as the Nikon 300 mm f2.8 vr lens, a lens I really wanted until I got to use it. Excellent lens but to big to enjoy

There is very little money here in this part of the USA...this is not like So-Cal...the actual number of buyers here means on big glass, the actual selling price is often $900-$1200 lower than the "Big Five" used prices seen all over the web. For example they have a 600mm f/4 VR Nikkor lens, the new G series, Nano-Crystal coat model, with box and case for $7,950 used. Refurbished that lens is $9,499 or so today with USA warranty at "discount retail", while a new gray market one from 42nd Street photo is $8,799.

Anybody looking to buy big glass, affordably, should look at actual retail outlets that have used or consignment items for sale. Contact them via e-mail or search out their web sites, but just stay away from the five largest dealers' sites if you';re looking for great deals. And keep in mind, this is a buyer;'s market; there is an oversupply of gear on the market now, and actual used prices are dropping as more and more people leave the hobby/profession. Look at Roberts Imaging in Texas, for example, for great, fair prices on used big glass.

Sadly Maine has exactly one camera shop and their selection is pretty substandard.

Hope I am okay to answer even though I am not close to owning one. It's my dream lens and has been for at least a couple of years.
I know of someone who has the MkI and she still loves it. Fantastic lens as you probably know already.

However, the new one is better in pretty much every way. Even better IQ, better IS, and maybe most notably lighter weight.
Really really want one and if you get one, I may internet hate you forever.

Yeah I am renting the MKII version for a homecoming game this weekend. If I like it, I am selling both the tamron and the 400 5.6 to make it happen.

well the one camera shop in Maine has a used mki non IS version for $2k. Not a bad price but the no IS is kind of a deal breaker.

I believe the older no IS is also harder to get fixed, being as its that much older.

Personally I've only ever heard fantastic things of the mk1. I would say for me the temptation to get the Mk2 has a few elements attached to it:

1) The new MK2 will have better optics, not night and day different, but better. This becomes more important if using it with teleconverters (which to be honest chances are you will). The Mk1 could take a 2*TC very well so the MK2 could do really well with it!

2) The new MK2 will use the new AF chips built into the MK3 teleconverters from Canon - improving AF performance. Again another nice bonus - not night and day but another edge.

I'd say if you can afford to wait and save go for the MK2 - if not then the Mk1 is no slouch and a fantastic performing lens.

I own the original EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (not the "II").

VO3A4340.jpg

I believe the older no IS is also harder to get fixed, being as its that much older.

Personally I've only ever heard fantastic things of the mk1. I would say for me the temptation to get the Mk2 has a few elements attached to it:

1) The new MK2 will have better optics, not night and day different, but better. This becomes more important if using it with teleconverters (which to be honest chances are you will). The Mk1 could take a 2*TC very well so the MK2 could do really well with it!

2) The new MK2 will use the new AF chips built into the MK3 teleconverters from Canon - improving AF performance. Again another nice bonus - not night and day but another edge.

I'd say if you can afford to wait and save go for the MK2 - if not then the Mk1 is no slouch and a fantastic performing lens.

Well my issue would be if I am going to spend the money for a mkii then why not get the 500 f/4?

Most reactions

Back