Canon 350D + ? lens

mikey7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I’m a newbie to SLR. I need recommendations on what lens to get with my Canon Rebel XT body.

I have a digital photography class next month. I am looking for an all around general lens. I also take lots of close-ups of machine parts.

Most owners are not happy with the Canon lens that comes with the kit. I want to stay around $200 on the lens. Is there such a lens what will fit my needs?
How is the lens that comes with the Nikon D50 kit?

Thanks for your help!

I'm a big fan of the Nikon D50 Kit Lens - Very good optics, low distortion, and great performance for the money. That doesn't help you, however, since you claim to already own a Canon body, which means you're committed to Canon Mount lenses.

I have not purchased the Rebel XT yet. I was going to order the body and lens together. I held the Canon and the D50 in my hand and they were both fine. I am leaning toward the Canon because it's 8MP.

I would get either camera, and a 50mm f/1.8, since you are learning, and about to take a class. Prime lenses force you to think, and move for your shots, and are great learning tools. You can buy a zoom later.

FYI, a 50mm lens is about $70.

with only 200 to spend, you wont get much. id suggest sticking to the kit lense initially, and learning with it, before you commit to another glass. plus the range of the kit lense is more then sufficiant for your class.

Would it also be best to avoid the 18 and 55 where possible? Maybe the dedicated digital lenses are better, but with film zoom lenses I was never very happy with the results from either extreme of the zoom.

I'd also be inclined to recommend a prime, although I'm used to a 50mm lens being a 50mm lens - is it as flexible when it's equivalent to a 75/80mm?

I'd get the 350D then maybe get a 28mm F2.8L if you can budget it in then buy an EF-S 17-85mm USM IS later on down the track. :)

Alternative to the 17-85mm would be the EF-S 10-22mm USM.

As you are going into school for photography. Stay away from the EF-S lenses. They'll only work on a cropped sensor. Should you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame, the lenses will be garbage. Stick to the Primes! But If you're going to buy a zoom, don't get anything less that an L lens. This is going to be your career, don't skimp.

ZaphodB said:
Would it also be best to avoid the 18 and 55 where possible? Maybe the dedicated digital lenses are better, but with film zoom lenses I was never very happy with the results from either extreme of the zoom.

I'd also be inclined to recommend a prime, although I'm used to a 50mm lens being a 50mm lens - is it as flexible when it's equivalent to a 75/80mm?

Maybe. They only say that they are new to SLR, not photography in general, but I think it's more important to get your eye used to seeing what impact focal length choice has on the image rather than worry about image quality while you are learning.

And yeah, I'd say go for a 35mm prime if it's going on the digital. It's just that the 80/1.8 is so cheap.

Most reactions

Back