Canon 400D or 350D

Uselessdreamer1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey everyone, im back and im looking into getting a digital and moving up from my film. Ive read reviews on both of these camera and i seem to like both of them. Just wondering what you think. Also im open to anything canon in the 1000 and below range.(cheeper the better since im in college)

I have the XTi (400D), and I love it. I used to have the 350D, and I loved that too. However, the XTi does have a nicer screen, a couple new features, and 10mp.

There are quite a few nice new features on the 400D, as mentioned. The bigger screen, 10MP...and a self cleaning sensor.

I don't think I would sell a 350 to buy a 400....but if buying new...I would certainly buy the newest camera.

On another note, I got the 20D because I liked it so much better than the Rebel or Rebel XT. It's bigger and has better controls. You might be able to get a 20D (or newer 30D) for less than $1000...if you look around.

I was in the same boat recently and as I don't have that much money I went with the xt and invested the rest in glass. It has served me extremely well in the time I have had it. It has done everything I have thrown at it with no problem. But I can't comment on the xti as I have never used it but to me the bigger screen and 2 mp wasnt enough to sell me. The dust removal is great tho that is the biggest reason to go for it.

I saw the xt body for $570 around there and a free 2gb compact flash cartd for free on adorama in the weekly email

im looking on adorama, i noticed they have refurb camera bodies, the XT for 399... this is deffantally in my price range. i was wondering if refurbs are as is or is there some limited warranty?

If you are a big lad with chunkey great ham type hands the XTi (400D) is a little on the small side(pop into the shop and try one for a few minutes). Otherwise as it is much newer than a 350 I really don't see why you would want the older one. If you already have the older one it may not be worth upgradeing. But to begin with I would definately go with the newer tech. It is a delight to use, and although the extra 2 meg won't change your life, you never know when that extra close crop will come in handy. You can always crop detail out. But if it's not there in the first place, it's just not there at all.

In that case, you should definetly go for the 400D. It's always better to have the newest technology possible. Plus, there were a few minor issues on the 350D that they resolved on the new camera.

If you was willing to try something other than Canon.
I'd suggest the Kodak DCS Pro 14n 13mp.
wish I saw this camera when I was shopping for a digi like 6months ago.
Really good camera.... It takes nikon glass.
I've used quite alot lately and love it to bits. Would trade for my 350D anyday :p

I was also wondering about the refurbished xt bodies. Are there any downsides to them (other than not new)? It seems they still have a warrenty.

hmm.. maybe a cheap 20D is a good option. i recently migrated from film to digital (full frame, which would be too expensive anyway) ... but today i had the 400D in my hand. even though i am not a tough giant guy with huge hands, the 400D would be too small for me.

dust removal sounds like something seriously speaking for trhe 400 D ... but canon people themselves told me it works only for easy dust.. not for bad sticky things like pollen or such...

Two months ago I picked up a used 20d with 2 gb of CF, 2 Battery's, Grip, and wired remote for 900.....Its such a sweet setup and I couldn't have been happier. Pick up a 20/30d and then a xt/xti....No contest for me as far as features, comfort and design.

I'm on the small side at 5'8" tall and normal size hands. The Rebels were too small to feel comfortable to me. Olympus & Pentax have both made similar size bodies and managed to keep them comfortable.

I think Canon is trying to capture more of the female market, figuring the men will just cope. Not me!

Don't forget to look at Olympus & Pentax. I did all the research and wound up with a Pentax K100D. It offered more for the money than Canon did, and a better kit lens. (such as anti-shake in the body and low noise at all ISO settings)

Certainly, there is nothing wrong with Canon, so if you feel some sort of brand loyalty, Canon won't do you wrong.

Most reactions

Back