Canon 400D or 40D

vesko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m planing to buy a digital SLR camera (never had one). Currently I use ixus 900, but whatever I try the image never comes out great.

I was looking at Canon 400D, but isn’t it better investment to start with Canon 40D. And is the 40D much better? Do they use the same lenses?

Also I’ll ask for advice about the lenses: the twin lens kit or the enthusiast kit (body + EF-S 17-85 F4-5.6 IS USM).

I would appreciate any comments.

Welcome to the forum.

The 40D is one of, if not the newest Canon DSLR camera...and as such, it has some of the best & newest technology and features. The 400D is still fairly new, but it's been around for a while.

The 40D is certainly a better camera...but will that really mean better photos? Not necessarily. It might be better to buy the less expensive body and put the extra money toward better lenses.

Yes, the two cameras use the same lenses. All Canon EOS bodies, film and digital, use Canon EF lenses. Many of the digital bodies, these ones included, can also use Canon EF-S lenses.

When you buy an SLR camera, you are buying into a system of bodies and lenses and other gear....most of which is interchangeable.

Whats your budget, what are you planning on doing with the Camera? I would start with the 400D, Its a great camera, will allow you to save some money and invest in some fun lenses. If it turns out that it is something you want to pursue, you can always upgrade the body later.

yeah i would reccomend the 400d (i have one). its a great camera to learn on. i did as above and got the 17-85 is usm with it and its a great package. only think i wish it had was more bracketing options and a faster fps but its all good :)

Wow, guys you simply rock!

Now I see the reason to go for 400D. I intend to use it as a hobby, to make pictures of the beautiful places I go to and the nice people I meet. Better to learn how to work it for a few years and then perhaps go for something newer and more exiting.

In Sydney I found a place selling the body plus 17-85 lens for AUD$1589. I’ll have around one grand left for extra lens. What would you recommend?

Thank you everyone for the answers I exactly needed.

I highly recommend that kit and a 70-200 f/4 L. The cheapest L series lens Cnaon makes. Being an L series though, you get an amazing piece of egineering. then also get the cheap good ole 50mm f/1.8 That's just my opinion though. it really depends on what you're using your camera for.

(forgot to mention, put some money aside for a memory card or 2 and maybe a tripod, also try and make sure you have a substantial amount on hard drive space on your computer for photos)

Thanks again everyone,

I'm getting 400D with 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM, plus 70-200 f/4 L, extra batery and two 4 gig cards.

You’ll learn about my progress from the questions I’ll need to ask you along the way.

Cheers,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back