Canon 400D

jdgreen92086

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm buying a "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (a.k.a. 400D)" soon and I need some help with the accessories. I would be disappointed and actually a little embarrassed to receive this camera and not have everything I need to immediate begin learning this machine. I have no problem investing money in items which are a better bang for the buck than a cheaper item.

First of all, Protection. I'm pretty clumsy, so I need to minimize the chance of dropping, slamming, and in general damaging the camera. Next up are batteries. I really don't have a clue as to what batteries I should bet on, so I hope somebody explains about how to choose batteries and what to avoid. I plan on taking this camera abroad, so I think I should get a bag to easily transport and store accessories and equipment with some space left over for "x" item(s). Cleaning is also very important to me. Everything I buy, I like to keep clean and working flawlessly. The last(not really the last) thing that comes to my attention when thinking of accessories are memory and storage. Since I am new, I plan to take many photographs with different combinations of exposures, angels, white balance, etc.

In my rush to finish this, I may have forgotten some details or items, so please if you think, "Hey, he might be interested in this" or "Wonder if he knows this", please don't hesitate to suggest it. I'm open to every suggestion.
Thanks, I'll check back soon. :hail:

Ill try to answer this to the best of my ability.

The most important thing you can do if your shooting to keep your camera from falling is Wear The Camera Strap. its included with the camera, and has saved me a few times, wear it. Also, when not using your camera, keep it its camera bag, if you don't have one, that would be another thing to consider, i prefer the Tamrac adventure backpack style bags. I use the 7, as the 6 is very small and feels like im wearing a purse.

A battery will come with the camera as well as a charger, but you might want to consider buying a second battery as i have, id stick with canon, although other manufacturers make battery's that will work with the 400D.

On the same not, and to go along with battery's and bags, amazon has package deals where it comes with a bag, cleaning kit and a spare battery, sometimes a few more gadgets, check out this page and search around as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_3?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=canon%20xti&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acanon%20xti&page=3

you will need a memory card, as the 400D doesn't come with one, i prefer Lexar cards, and have a 4gig.

and last, i am no pro, so heres my kit as i carry it:

Tamrac Adventure 7 with:

Canon 400D (Xti)
"Kit" 17-55
canon 50mm F1.4
Sigma 70-300 Apo DG
Manfrotto 190X Prob
Cleaning kit (brush, lens tissue, cloth, cleaning solution)
4 Gig lexar card
2 batteries
charger
notepad
pens/pencils
usb cable
tv cable
extra lens cap
manual

This is plenty for me to explore many types of photography, and im learning something new every time i shoot.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Protection. I'm pretty clumsy, so I need to minimize the chance of dropping, slamming, and in general damaging the camera.

The camera should be packaged with a neck strap which should keep you from dropping the camera.

Next up are batteries. I really don't have a clue as to what batteries I should bet on, so I hope somebody explains about how to choose batteries and what to avoid.

A single battery should be packaged with the charger. I recommend buying an extra battery just in case the first runs out. There are cheaper knock-offs available on ebay and such but I've heard a mix bag of experiences. A major brands like Energizer, digipower, etc.. also make batteries for your camera. If in doubt, just purchase the appropriate Canon battery.

I plan on taking this camera abroad, so I think I should get a bag to easily transport and store accessories and equipment with some space left over for "x" item(s).

A medium sized shoulder bag should be just fine. Check out selections from Lowepro and Tamrac which are the more popular brands. They both will provide compartments that are padded. I like the Lowepro stealth reporter series.

Cleaning is also very important to me. Everything I buy, I like to keep clean and working flawlessly.

Whatever you do.. try not to touch the sensor with anything. You can use a blower (NOT compressed air) and the instructions will tell you how to put the camera into cleaning mode. For the most part, the camera should be fine for the entire trip.

I have a good relationship with my local shop who doesn't mind cleaning my camera.

The last(not really the last) thing that comes to my attention when thinking of accessories are memory and storage.

The Canon takes a compact flash card. Purchase a good one from a local consumer electronics store. I personally like SanDisk brand. Some people will buy a single card of the largest capacity. I prefer to purchase smaller 1gb cards to minimize the loss if a single car gets damaged.

Congrats on your purchase... have fun.
Previous post pretty much has a good example list.

Oh, I'm not going on a trip anytime soon. But I mostly meant I will be going to many places within ~100 miles.

Thanks, GwagDesigns and usayit. I have more questions, which are open to everybody even though I quoted usayit.

The camera should be packaged with a neck strap which should keep you from dropping the camera.
I was sure it did, but is there anything else I can buy to protect my camera? I saw something called Armor, but I figured that would just keep the body from getting scratched.

A single battery should be packaged with the charger. I recommend buying an extra battery just in case the first runs out. There are cheaper knock-offs available on ebay and such but I've heard a mix bag of experiences. A major brands like Energizer, digipower, etc.. also make batteries for your camera. If in doubt, just purchase the appropriate Canon battery.
I would rather buy something a little more expensive with a good reputation than something cheap that I will have to replace even once. I may get another of the Canon battery if there isn't a performance gain to Energizer, digipower, or other brands compared to the Canon.

A medium sized shoulder bag should be just fine. Check out selections from Lowepro and Tamrac which are the more popular brands. They both will provide compartments that are padded. I like the Lowepro stealth reporter series.
Thanks I'll look at those and judge accordingly.

Whatever you do.. try not to touch the sensor with anything. You can use a blower (NOT compressed air) and the instructions will tell you how to put the camera into cleaning mode. For the most part, the camera should be fine for the entire trip.
How often should a camera be checked and/or cleaned? What is a blower and why shouldn't a person use compressed air?

The Canon takes a compact flash card. Purchase a good one from a local consumer electronics store. I personally like SanDisk brand. Some people will buy a single card of the largest capacity. I prefer to purchase smaller 1gb cards to minimize the loss if a single car gets damaged.
I'll probably use SanDisk since they are cheap and I believe my brother uses them. I'll probably get 2 2Gb cards. What does 60x and 133x mean? Write/read speed or something similar? Also, is CompactFlash Type I and II the same as Ultra I and II? What's the difference?

Also I'll need a tripod for playing with exposures and stuff, any suggestions?

If your looking for a tripod, you need to consider that your putting your 700$ camera on above the ground, with the risk of it falling or tipping it over. before Christmas, id stick my 400D on a cheap 16$ aluminum/plastic tripod, and keep the strap on while using it as i didn't feel very comfortable leaving it alone on it.

I received a 190X PROB w/ballhead and it cost about 230$ on B&H photo for the package, i was about to pay that price myself if i didn't get it, as i feel its worth it. if you want quality, you are going to pay, Bogen/Manfrotto makes some nice tripods, ranging in price, go to a camera store, see what they have to offer as far as tripods go, and check online for reviews for others. if your choice how much you want to spend.

manf_190xprob_1.jpg

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I made my purchase. This is the list.

Canon CAEDRXTIKB EOS Digital Rebel XTi Digital Camera Kit (Black) with 18-55mm Lens

[/FONT][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif] Sandisk SAU2CF2GB 2GB Ultra II CompactFlash Card
The Ultra II CF cards looked like they would be good all around, and especially for faster paced photography, i.e sports and weddings(dancing and such).

[/FONT][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif] Lowepro LON5AWB Nova 5 AW Shoulder Bag (Black)
I didn't get a big bag since I don't have any lenses or really much to carry.

[/FONT][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif] Canon CANB2LH NB-2LH Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (7.4v 720mAh)

[/FONT][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif] Bogen / Manfrotto BO718B 718B Digi Tripod with 3-Way Head
This was the heaviest and most sturdy looking tripod I found for the price.
[/FONT]

You seem to be concerned about "protection". If you're a clutz like me, go back to where you purchased the camera and get an extended warranty. While I'm not normally a warranty kind of guy, with my cameras and "L" lenses, I break down and get them all covered. (Read the warranty and understand the limitations. Make sure you "register" if required. Many warranties won't cover your camera if you try to register more than 30 days after your camera purchase date. So decide now.) While it's better not to ever need it, it's nice to have it if you do.

And remember, if you've got your camera in your hands, try not to fall down.

Don't forget the simple and cheap, but most important: lens cap leash! Without those, I would have had to spend a fortune in new lens caps.

Most reactions

Back