Canon 40D recalibration?

Steve94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a new 40D with the 28-135 IS lens package. All the pictures seem to be soft compared to my old 10D. Has anyone ever had a camera that need some sort of recalibration right out of the package?

have you tested the lens on another body to make sure its the camera and not the body which is the problem?
Also have you tried tested shots (ie on a tripod - with the lens IS off) to make sure its not your shooting style that is a factor

Unfortunately I have already sold by 10D, and have no other body.

try a local camera shop then - they should have a body you can try the lens out on.
Or even look for a local photography club - they at least won't be putting pressure on your for repaires ;)

I have a new 40D with the 28-135 IS lens package. All the pictures seem to be soft compared to my old 10D. Has anyone ever had a camera that need some sort of recalibration right out of the package?

I have that lens and unless you have one of the few good copies, it's soft. I love it and the range, but it's soft.

The reason you see the softness is that the 10D couldn't resolve all the flaws as well as the 40D. I had two 10Ds and now shoot a 40D. The 70-200 f/2.8 made the 10D look good, but with the 28-135 it was just nice. :D

What you are seeing is a better camera, showing the limits of the lens.

Best guess is nothing wrong with your camera, I have the same results with same cameras and same lens. If I could test 10 28-135s and find the magic sharp copy, I'd love it. Saving for the 24-105 now.

I hate my 28-135. LOL If I weren't such a packrat, I'd sell it. I haven't taken but a very small handful of shots with it, and those were just crap shots while sitting on the couch seeing how good the IS worked. I only bought it as part of a 40D kit. Figured at that price, it was worth a shot. I cannot believe that they (Canon) bundle such a focal length with an APS-C sensor camera such as the 40D.

Derrick

Crank up the sharpness. Could it be that the 10D out of the body was oversharp?
The same complaints came up when the D200 came out replacing the "sharper" D100. Even the Dpreview review recommended setting sharpness to +1

Most reactions

New Topics

Back