Canon 40D VS Nikon D80

The XSi is far inferiour than the 40D. You are talking about 2 totally different teired bodies. Rebels are not in the same league as a D90 or 40D.

-JD-
Rebels are in the same league as a D90.. They're both plastic, non-sealed bodies with 3 frames per second (or 3.5, whoopie). The D90 is only marginally better than the XSi, at best, and that's just due to a newer, slightly faster AF system.

The 40d is a steel-magnesium frame, with weather sealing and 6 frames per second, awesome focusing speed and can be gotten used for a steal these days. Amazing camera for the price, it really is.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice

I think i'll be closely looking at the xsi now. it seems pretty legit with the quicker AF, 3.5 fps, and its got the same anti-dust as the 40D. Its cheaper as well by a couple hundred bucks, which is always a good thing.

All I've been reading for the last 45 minutes is how well the performance is with the xsi. i read and watch nothing but good reviews. It usually out performs a comparison with another DSLR of the same type and price range

You can find nice used 40D's for $600 because of Canon dumping the 50D on the market so soon. The 40D is a much better choice. IQ will be almost identical and the mp's don't matter at 10-12. The 40D will have quicker AF, much, much, much better control layout. On the XSI, you have to hold down a button and scroll the shutter speed wheel to change the aperture where the 40D has a dedicated control for that. The XSI probably requires you to change ISO in the camera's menu where the 40D has a button on the body that gives you that option.

After I went from a 300D to a 30D, I was amazed at how much better the camera felt and handled. I hate shooting with Rebels now. It's an inconvenience when compared to every other DSLR in Canon's line up.

Rebels are in the same league as a D90.. They're both plastic, non-sealed bodies with 3 frames per second (or 3.5, whoopie). The D90 is only marginally better than the XSi, at best, and that's just due to a newer, slightly faster AF system.

The 40d is a steel-magnesium frame, with weather sealing and 6 frames per second, awesome focusing speed and can be gotten used for a steal these days. Amazing camera for the price, it really is.

Maybe you should do your research. D90 is 4.5 fps and if you don't think 1.5fps is a big difference then you're naive. D90 also blows the 450d away on high ISO performance and from what I've seen the viewfinder of the D90 is much nicer as well. The similarities of the 450d and D90 end at the body construction and the D90 is still better than the 450D in that area if you've held and used both.

40d is very comparable to the D90 and better than the D80 by quite a bit. 50d would be much better than both.....that said, I'd still get a D90 over the 40d but I don't shoot sports.

I think the OP may get his camera already since this post started 3 months ago. And he/she did not have another post in this forum after the last post in this thread.

But in general, I believe most of the people will agree that jumping from Rebel series to XXD is a big jump. For me, I really like the way the 40D feel in my hands. And if I need to buy a Canon body now, I will skip the Rebel series (nothing really wrong with them, they are still great cameras) and go with the XXD series. Used or new

I think the OP may get his camera already since this post started 3 months ago. And he/she did not have another post in this forum after the last post in this thread.

But in general, I believe most of the people will agree that jumping from Rebel series to XXD is a big jump. For me, I really like the way the 40D feel in my hands. And if I need to buy a Canon body now, I will skip the Rebel series (nothing really wrong with them, they are still great cameras) and go with the XXD series. Used or new

Probably true, but I felt the need to reply to the post saying the 450d and D90 were very comparable for future buyers. The 350d/400d/450d is known to be a competitor to the D40/D40x/D60 whereas the D80 and above is a closer comparison to the 30d and above and D90 falls right in line (as far as picture quality and features) to the 40d and 50d.

Maybe you should do your research. D90 is 4.5 fps and if you don't think 1.5fps is a big difference then you're naive. D90 also blows the 450d away on high ISO performance and from what I've seen the viewfinder of the D90 is much nicer as well. The similarities of the 450d and D90 end at the body construction and the D90 is still better than the 450D in that area if you've held and used both.

40d is very comparable to the D90 and better than the D80 by quite a bit. 50d would be much better than both.....that said, I'd still get a D90 over the 40d but I don't shoot sports.
"League" to me was refering to classification. They are both ENTRY level cameras.

So, I'm naive because I don't think 1.5 frames per second make a difference eh? Okay, so the 6 frames per second on the 40d vs the 4.5 frames per second on the D90. Hmm, which one was I recommending. Let's see.

Next time you feel like throwing out a personal insult, maybe think about what you're saying first buddy. I sell this stuff for a living, I know the frame rate. For sports photography, Canon XXd and Nikon D300 are still the best bets. Weather sealing plays a much bigger part than which entry level camera has a faster frame rate.

Last edited:
For sports photography, Canon XXd and Nikon D300 are still the best bets. Weather sealing plays a much bigger part than which entry level camera has a faster frame rate.

Sports and birding would be very similar right?

Im opting for the 40D over the 450/1000 mainly for the build. Im a beach and outdoor sort of dude and while my camera wont last in the rain im sure it will be hardier than the cheap plastic bodies of the entry level ones.

Sports and birding would be very similar right?

Im opting for the 40D over the 450/1000 mainly for the build. Im a beach and outdoor sort of dude and while my camera wont last in the rain im sure it will be hardier than the cheap plastic bodies of the entry level ones.
Weather sealing will also depend on what lens you mount. Not all of Canon's L series glass is environment sealed. The 100-400 for instance, is not sealed. It'll force dirt and dust back inside your camera due to the way it zooms. So keep in mind what lenses you want to mount on the camera as well.

"League" to me was refering to classification. They are both ENTRY level cameras.

So, I'm naive because I don't think 1.5 frames per second make a difference eh? Okay, so the 6 frames per second on the 40d vs the 4.5 frames per second on the D90. Hmm, which one was I recommending. Let's see.

Next time you feel like throwing out a personal insult, maybe think about what you're saying first buddy. I sell this stuff for a living, I know the frame rate. For sports photography, Canon XXd and Nikon D300 are still the best bets. Weather sealing plays a much bigger part than which entry level camera has a faster frame rate.

Well you can claim to know the frame rates but the point is that you listed the frame rate of the D90 wrong. Compare all the features of each camera and the D90 comes out way ahead of the 450d in basically every area.... and behind, equal, or better to the 40d depending on what area you are comparing.

Every comparison I've ever seen stacks the D90 against the 40d or multiple cameras. How they stack up to that series may be a different story, but that's where Nikon meant for the D90 to be in regards to compeition as far as I've known. I've never found a review stating that the D90 was introduced as a competitor for the 450d/XSI. THe D60 was meant to compete against the XSI.

Edit: And my apologies for the personal jab.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back