Canon 40D

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I was looking at it on the internet a few days ago and to me the 30D seems like a much better deal. Is there any new featers besides live view that are actually help full or worth spending a couple hundred more dollars for?

weather sealing, larger screen, digic III, more fps, higher buffer, sensor cleaning, more megapixels

For me, the things I like are the weather sealing, the larger screen, and the fps/buffer.

all of those...plus lower high ISO noise, and image quality (due to some of those additions).

I've used the 40D, and would say it's worth every penny. (My brother has one)

I love my 40d (although all i had to compare it to is a 400d... it's definitely worth it over that)

I use them both and I have to say the biggest reason I chose the 40D over another 30D was for the high ISO performance and it does an incredible job. With this considered, image quality of both cameras is top notch.

Considering the additional features the 40D has, I would spring for the extra cash. However, you won't be dissapointed with either purchase!

As for weather sealing, i did some reading...

"Its only a cheap foam seal on the battery & card compartment, that's it. The buttons , mount, connections, etc. are not sealed at all. Only a 1-series body will get you the sealing you need."

The 30D was basically just a 20D with a bigger screen and a spot metering option. So if you want a really good deal, look for a 20D.

The 40D is a new camera with many upgrades.

Well I was looking at it on the internet a few days ago and to me the 30D seems like a much better deal.

Better deal as in less money or better deal as in a superior tool to capture images?

I noticed a difference between my 40D and my 30D right away. It's night and day over my 20D's (..and my 20's are very good cameras).

For me the high ISO/low noise is a real selling point. You really cannot tell the difference between ISO 100 and 800 in most situations. Its that good.

I would agree with Mike, either a used 20D ant there cheap for a lot of camera ~$500-600, or go for the 40D.

I might be wrong... but I don't think the 40D is weather sealed.

It's not 1D sealing, but better all around than its earlier models. I wouldn't mind a cover of sorts for the flash-shoe. Tend to gather a lot of dust and debris there. Though that cheesy felt they put around the CF/ Batery door is considered weather sealing, it does work. As for the difference between the 20/30D and 40D...the 6.5 fps, faster processing, customized settings, and larger/ brighter viewfinder is well worth the upgrade from the 20D. The AF is a little faster than the 20D also.

It's not 1D sealing, but better all around than its earlier models. I wouldn't mind a cover of sorts for the flash-shoe. Tend to gather a lot of dust and debris there.

So then it is not weathersealed. It is either weathersealed from the elements or not weathersealed. If exposed to the rain and fails, then it isn't going to matter that your battery compartment is dry.

IMO, that part of the 40D marketing material is that... pure marketing.

This is like saying my old clunker of a car is road ready because 1 out of 4 tires has tread. Or a boat that is sealed all around but leaks in the aft is still sea worthy.

This is the reason why the 1D is considered ~not~ weather sealed unless paired with a lens equipped with the proper seals.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back