Canon 450D - Rebel XSi

Where's the 5D update!!!! Did they just not release the XTi? What's up with that?!?!?!

Word is that the 5D update will have to wait until fall...but some have said that there might be something coming up in late February...but I wouldn't hold mt breath.

Whilst I was drooling (but only slightly) over the prospect of a 5D update, the 450D actually looks interesting. Potentially, it offers quite a step up from my current 350D - larger viewfinder (big +++), larger LCD (++), Live View (+), spot metering (+++), 50% more pixels (++). I suppose my only concern would be whether cramming that many pixels on a crop sensor will be at the expense of additional noise - will have to see what reviewers make of that one.

Aside from the robustness of construction, I'm now wondering whether they'll have to do something to keep an interested market for the 40D - at the very least I'd have thought Canon would need to either up the sensor size or look towards discounting the price a little. Maybe I'm missing an obvious feature that the 40D has that isn't on the 450D though.

Yes, you're missing something. Not withstanding all the marketing blah, the Rebel is still a plastic entry-level camera in Canon's product line.

Yes, you're missing something. Not withstanding all the marketing blah, the Rebel is still a plastic entry-level camera in Canon's product line.

That was what I was referring to in this line - "Aside from the robustness of construction".

We've been thinking about investing in a DSLR since our trusty little Ixus died a few months ago.

Having been familiar and happy with Canons over the years, we figured their entry level DSLR would be a good one to consider.

Am I right in thinking at the moment it's the EOS 400D, that you can pick up for under £500 with a basic lens lit?

Having assumed that as the 450D was replacing it, figured the cost would be pretty comparable, and that the 450D would be a similar price - but it looks like it'll be more like £700.

Is that typical with cameras, that the older model falls in price over time, and when new models are released the price effectively jumps back to a higher price?

Yes - as it does in with every technology. In order to retain market share, they must either endure a continuous reduction in price, or hold the price-point by introducing an improved version of the same product. Due to the extreme competition in the dSLR market, you are seeing products with considerable improvements in very short cycles, for very low prices.

That was what I was referring to in this line - "Aside from the robustness of construction".

Your also 3fps slower than the 40D. A huge plus for teh 40D IMO. Moreso than the Live-view which I find cubersome in the field. Other than that and the robustness, it not too shabby.

I'm getting one as a second body to compliment my 30D...gotta love technology...too bad the stock market can't keep up with these kinds of market improvements ;-)

-Roy

Your also 3fps slower than the 40D. A huge plus for th 40D IMO. Moreso than the Live-view which I find cubersome in the field. Other than that and the robustness, it not too shabby.

I'd agree that this might be a worthwhile benefit for some, and there are undoubtedly other differences that may mean more for one customer over another. Personally, fps isn't an issue for me - the only time my 350D hasn't been set on one-shot, has been an accident when flicking through to the timer. I suspect that's the case for many other users too.

My main point is this - Canon have succeeded in closing the gap between lower range and the next one up. In some cases, the 450D has an advantage, this though has to be weighed up against the overall package being offered. As we've highlighted here though, different features are going to attract different adherants, I think it's fair to say though that making the choice for many is now going to be harder. The 40D certainly doesn't have quite so many advantages as it did have though.

I'd agree that this might be a worthwhile benefit for some, and there are undoubtedly other differences that may mean more for one customer over another. Personally, fps isn't an issue for me - the only time my 350D hasn't been set on one-shot, has been an accident when flicking through to the timer. I suspect that's the case for many other users too.

My main point is this - Canon have succeeded in closing the gap between lower range and the next one up. In some cases, the 450D has an advantage, this though has to be weighed up against the overall package being offered. As we've highlighted here though, different features are going to attract different adherants, I think it's fair to say though that making the choice for many is now going to be harder. The 40D certainly doesn't have quite so many advantages as it did have though.

Its the reverse for me. The only time I'm not in continuous with my 20D, it's when I accidentally was cycling through the drives. I LOVE my 20D so much more than my XT, even if technilogically they're incredibly similar. The 20Ds feel has to be its #1 advantage, burst is the 2nd, the rear control wheel is the 3rd.

I LOVE my 20D so much more than my XT, even if technilogically they're incredibly similar. The 20Ds feel has to be its #1 advantage, burst is the 2nd, the rear control wheel is the 3rd.
I agree. It's one thing to compare the specs....but once you hold a 20D, 30D, 40D...and compare that to a Rebel...the difference is very clear.

And I'd be the first to admit that I've never held a 20/30/40D for myself. I'm just reflecting on the fact that the gap between the two ranges just closed a little in my mind. Maybe when any of us actually gets to hold the 450D, it may close a little further given the changes that have been made to its handling.

I'm just reflecting on the fact that the gap between the two ranges just closed a little in my mind. Maybe when any of us actually gets to hold the 450D, it may close a little further given the changes that have been made to its handling.
Maybe true...but the 40D is also a large jump ahead of the 30D...so while the new Rebel XSi looks much better than it's predecessor...the gap is still there.
Actually, when the XTi came out...it was very close to the 30D (which was basically a revamped 20D). At that time, I think the XTi might have been the better buy...but the 40D reset the balance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back