canon 50 f/1.8 vs. canon 55-250

loganator11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need help! I'm going on a mission trip next week for spring break and don't know which lens to get! It's between the canon 50mm f/1.8 and the canon 55-250mm. I am a teen and am on a VERY tight budget and I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on which one to get. thanks :D

I don't know about the Canon 50mm lens, but I just purchased a nikon 50mm f1.8. The quality of the picture is superb and the bokah is very creamy.

It really depends on what you plan on shooting the while you are on the trip. Do you also have a kit lens already that will cover the 50 mm focal range?

if you only are taking ONE lens with you, i'd suggest the zoom. if you're traveling, you never know if your subject is going to be close up or further away.

but i do suppose it depends where you're going/what you plan on shooting.

The zoom lens will be MUCH more-versatile.

Being that you're going on a mission trip, I'd get the 55-250 for versatility. I agree that you do have to think forward to what you believe you will be shooting.

I'd probably go the other direction than most here and take the 50 f/1.8. As it's smaller, lighter (not such a pain to carry all day & night long), more versatile for different lighting conditions and sharper than the 55-200.

But really you need to say is what camera you are going to use, where you are going and what you plan to shoot for anyone to make a real recommendation.
Good luck on your trip and with this being you fist post….

I'd also say the zoom, for versatility.

I use to own the 55-250 canon lens and was not too impressed with its performance. It was not a sharp lens. I would personally go with the 50mm f/1.8. It may not be as versatile but our image quality will be better. I like prime lenses because they keep you moving around. It all depends on what you are shooting on the trip though too.

I own a 50mm f/1.4 and would use that any day over the 55-250.

I just purchased a nikon 50mm f1.8. The quality of the picture is superb.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back