canon 50d and 7d

MarkXS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is the canon 7d worth the extra money or should i skimp on the video and save a couple hundred bucks?

The 7D is in every way better than the 50D. Besides video, it gets a bump in resolution and about a 1 stop bump in usable ISO (with NR, you could easily get away with 6400, and 3200 is downright good looking). It's also got wireless flash control, weather sealing, super fast 8fps burst rate, and significantly better AF modes and selection, among other things.

I've had a 50D since March of last year and recently got myself a 7D. As much as I loved my 50D, I haven't touched it since upgrading.

Is the 7D worth it? Yes.

Depends what you shoot.

So...what do you shoot?

I went with a 7D over the 50D

if you want the 50D you might want to hurry. rumor is it's being discontinued for a new model. 60D maybe ???

The 7D is in every way better than the 50D. Besides video, it gets a bump in resolution and about a 1 stop bump in usable ISO (with NR, you could easily get away with 6400, and 3200 is downright good looking). It's also got wireless flash control, weather sealing, super fast 8fps burst rate, and significantly better AF modes and selection, among other things.

I've had a 50D since March of last year and recently got myself a 7D. As much as I loved my 50D, I haven't touched it since upgrading.

Is the 7D worth it? Yes.

So what are you going to do with the 50D? :)

Keep it as a second body. I'm going to be doing a bunch of high school football games in the fall, so I'm going to put the 70-200 on the 7D and 17-55 on 50D.

i shoot mainly sports. paintball specifically so the burst mode would definately be an advantage. right now i have a canon rebel xs so i would upgrade to one of the 2.

It doesn't matter...as soon as you buy, something "better" will always come out... They are both good cameras.

I'd wait till 60D or whatever it is comes out..

It doesn't matter...as soon as you buy, something "better" will always come out... They are both good cameras.

I agree totally with this.

And you could wait for a 60D...but its not gonna have the same price tag the 50D has today.

I agree totally with this.

And you could wait for a 60D...but its not gonna have the same price tag the 50D has today.

And product line separation says it won't be as good as the 7D. Plus, no concrete details have even been confirmed yet, much less any release date. Who knows when it will get here.

Im debating this exact scenario .... 7D or 50D .... my question is ..... (not taking your thread away, but thought it would be informative to go over) ... isnt the 50D FF and the 7D crop?

Huge difference?

Im debating this exact scenario .... 7D or 50D .... my question is ..... (not taking your thread away, but thought it would be informative to go over) ... isnt the 50D FF and the 7D crop?

Huge difference?

There is a big difference between crop and full frame, yes. But the 50D is not a full frame, it is also a crop with the same crop factor as the 7D
Crop = rebel, 40/50/60D, 7D
FF = 5D, 1D

If you are looking for burst though, the 5D line has something like a 3.5 fps burst, which is less than the 50D (approx 6 fps) and then 7D (approx 8 fps). For action/sports/burst shooting, you should be looking at the 1D line, but this is probably out of your budget (as it is with most people, myself included)

Most reactions

Back