canon 50mm 1.8 classic vs II

Scuba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So Is there a difference optically? It seems the II version was a downgrade from the classic. Was this to make room for the 1.4? The classic and the 1.4 look farely similar. I have had a budget change since my wife now wants to keep my xsi body for her but I need a lens for my 5D classic for a couple months. So I am looking at the 1.8 now and a guy has the classic for sale on CL for $90.

Not sure of the difference between the classic and the II.

I own the Canon 50mm II and am VERY satisfied with it. Especially considering the price.

Here is an example of the results I get...

1Dollar.jpg

optics are the same i think, it's just the exterior. Of the two, the classic is built more like the Nikon and at least has focus scales.

I love my Sigma 50mm f/1.4, granted it's a little more spendy. If you plan on using the 50mm a lot, the 1.8 will bug you. Very noisy and clunky and just feels really cheap. It retained it's value fine when I re-sold it, but I outgrew it pretty quickly, for what it's worth.

If the lens is in good shape, $90 is a good price.

I used to own the MK I and the MK II version at one point of time. I really did not notice any different between them as far as image quality concern. I bought the MK I and sold the MK II later simply because of the following ...

- Better build
- Manual focus ring is not at the front of the lens (MK II)
- Metal Mount (I prefer metal mount)

Of course, there is a distance scale on the old one but I do not use it much at all. AF speed is about the same, nothing spectacular.

I sold the 50mm mk I lens later on for over $120 on CL after I bought a used f/1.4. The f/1.4 is a little bit bigger and the AF is better than both f/1.8 version. And it has the full time manual override focus as well.

If the lens is in good shape, $90 is a good price.

I used to own the MK I and the MK II version at one point of time. I really did not notice any different between them as far as image quality concern. I bought the MK I and sold the MK II later simply because of the following ...

- Better build
- Manual focus ring is not at the front of the lens (MK II)
- Metal Mount (I prefer metal mount)

Of course, there is a distance scale on the old one but I do not use it much at all. AF speed is about the same, nothing spectacular.

I sold the 50mm mk I lens later on for over $120 on CL after I bought a used f/1.4. The f/1.4 is a little bit bigger and the AF is better than both f/1.8 version. And it has the full time manual override focus as well.

Yeah the metal mount appeals to me as well and the focus ring. And like I said it seems to be a better build and looks more like the 1.4. If the optics are the same I don't see why they changed it for the II

I love my Sigma 50mm f/1.4, granted it's a little more spendy. If you plan on using the 50mm a lot, the 1.8 will bug you. Very noisy and clunky and just feels really cheap. It retained it's value fine when I re-sold it, but I outgrew it pretty quickly, for what it's worth.

Yeah I have looked at the sigma 1.4 and really liked it however right now with my wife wanting to keep the other camera now it has ate up my funds for glass so for now I will be stuck with the 1.8. The only thing I don't like about the sigma is the size. It is quite a bit bigger then the canon 1.4. However it is marginally better optically and has the larger filter size which I like. The price difference hurts though from the canon 1.4.

I think they changed the design/build of the II model, to keep it cheap. The 50mm F1.8 has always (I think) been Canon's cheapest lens and even though it's cheap, it has decent optics. So in order to keep this lens as inexpensive as possible, they changed the lens mount to plastic, took out the distance scale etc.

If you see the I version for $90....jump on it, if it's in good shape. I was just looking around and I've seen it listed for well over $200. That seems like a lot for this little lens, part of it is probably the 'cool' factor...being able to say that you have the 'reto version' of the 50mm F1.8. :lol:

Anyway, just minutes ago, I ordered the 50mm F1.4 to replace my 1.8....so if your sale falls through, I may have mine up for sale soon.

I will let you know. Supposed to meet the guy here today to pick it up. He says it is in great condition too.

If it is in great condition, go get it. Chances are you can sell it back for the same price you bought it for. (Or maybe make few bucks out of it)

Most reactions

Back