Canon 50mm f/ 1.0?

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there a 50mm f/ 1:1.0 lens. I cannot seem to find it on the canon's website(not that I could afford it) but I found a few reviews on line. In the Dec 2007 issue of Popular Science, there is a shot blurb about the 1D mk III, and in the picture the lens on the camera is a 50mm 1:1.0 L, so I figured that this is a current product. Is this maybe a special order item so its not displayed in canons line up on the web, or has this been replaced by the current 1.2?

Just curious,

Ryan

i think there has been 1.0, but the 1D MkIII you saw was most likely with the 1.2L. That's the current fastest 50mm Canon has now.

the F1.0 was discontinued a few years ago

Im actually looking at the magazine right now, It's for sure a MkIII with a 1.0.

Kind of weird for canon so send out a unit for review with an out of production lens.

If its for review they will send whatever lens is laying about

Im actually looking at the magazine right now, It's for sure a MkIII with a 1.0.

Kind of weird for canon so send out a unit for review with an out of production lens.

I do not think they send out a camera for review with any lens attached, why should they?

The reviewer choses the lens.

The lens is loved by a few, maligned by most. Not sure why, though I've been told it has real sharpness issues... Also, focusing at f/1.0 is very difficult... at a typical portrait distance the DOF is so shallow that you can get the front of the nose out of focus, and be in and back out of focus by the time you get to the back of the nose. The f/1.2 has more useful DOF, and doesn't spend such a long time hunting for focus... and is more useful in terms of sharpness at regular apertures.

All this is just me blathering things I've read, I've not used either. However, I own the Leica f/1.0 Noctilux and can tell you that shallow DOF becomes a huge problem.

Oh, and I have actually held the Canon f/1.0 in my hand, mounted to 1D Mk II. It is a GIANT lens, both in width and in weight.

Yeah it did strike me as quite huge especially considering how large a 1D Body.

It was not really a review anyway it was just about 1 paragraph mentioning 10fps and high ISO capability, actually the photo of the camera is twice the size of the text.

I would guess that the photog chose to stick the 50mm 1.0 on the camera for the photo, because it looked good proportionally.

Most people didn't like the lens.

- Expensive
- Slow AF
- Not as sharp as either the f1.4 or f1.8 at a small fraction of the price

photovillage has had one for sale for a few years now.... $5400. Its easy to pass it up for either the 50mm f1.2 or 85mm f1.2 at half the cost.

wow...i didn't even know they made f1.0.

Now I that I know they exist, I just need to find that elusive 10-500mm/F1.0-1.2 for less than $100.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back