Canon 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8

indianatheart00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided to purchase a Canon 50mm f/1.4 and then came across some reviews for the Canon 85mm f/1.8. Now I am very confused about which one I should get because the price for both is about the same. I plan on using the lens for indoor photography during the day and at night. Basically just taking pictures of my kids and also family events etc. I also want to use it for outdoor landscape photography and to take pictures of architecture. Help!

I have both ... they're both good. If you're using a crop sensor, the 85 might be too long for use indoors. Even the 50 would be a little on the long side...

I agree, if you're using it primarily indoors I'd go for the 50. It's 2/3 stop brighter and the 85 can get a little tight indoors.

For architecture and landscape, both of these lenses are going to be "selective", and not for getting an entire scene, so I imagine they'd both suit you alright. Usually for architecture and landscape I think more in the 10-24 range (on crop).

I also have both. For indoor, the 85mm is great for head shot type photos. But that about it. When I shoot family gathering or birthday parties, I usually just use the Canon 50mm and Tamron 17-50mm (both with flash).

For out door, that's a different story.

I own the 50mm 1.4 and would recommend it over the 85 for all the reasons other posters have listed above. However, for your planned use of this new lens, I would go wider than 50 (especially on your cropped) and would consider a 35 or even 28. Both really great lenses.
For indoor, portraits and all that, holidays, meetings, play times, I use a 24-70mm 2.8. It has been the best overall lens I've used. And having used it so much, I have a great appreciation for the wider end.

The 50mm is fast but too long for indoor shooting. Jacobwilson is right. The 28mm prime or 24-70mm 2.8 zoom would be better for family shots.

But the 28mm wouldn't be wide enough for architecture. Consider the 17-55mm 2.8 IS. Or if that's not in the budget, you might do this:

- swap the 50mm f/1.4 for a 18-55mm kit lens

- and with the money you have left over, get a FLASH like the Speedlite 430ex II

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back