Canon 50mm f/1.8 MKI (the old one) focusing problem

bobaab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bobaab.deviantart.com
I've searched around for this briefly, but seeing the lack of websites I got reviewing the problem I had, I'm assuming it's not so common.

My friend just bought a used Canon 50mm f/1.8 MKI (yes, the older one with the metal mount) and both of us has been having trouble with the autofocus and the focus dots.

We both have the 350D, and on each of our camera, it has the same problems.

First, autofocus does NOT focus. It attempts to focus, the motor moves in and out very quickly, but does not focus on anything.

Second, even on manual mode and when something 'should' be in focus, the red dots do not always come up. We are LUCKY if it blinks.

Those two tools are very handy and I would like to know if there is a way to fix it. Is this lense broken? Did he just waste 130 bucks? Thanks for the support guys...

how old is it?

Maybe try cleaning the metal/electrical contacts on the back of the lens. It not out of the question that maybe he's got a bum lens.

Can you see a focused image though it...if you manually focused it? Does your focused distance match up with the distance scale?

Will it focus in certain ranges and not others? See if it will focus at it's closest range or at infinity. If it will focus on certain spots and not others consistently, it will tell you something.

I have a 50mm/1.4 that would not focus closer than ~8'. I could hear a little rattle inside, so I took off the outer rim. You can do this without affecting the elements. Inside a screw had come loose and was jammed in the focusing mechanics. I found where it belonged, replaced it, and now it works perfectly.

If it has problems everywhere, you may be SOL.

I cleaned off the electricaly contacts but that didnt do anything...I can focus it manually, but the picture i THINK is in focus is actually a little bit out of focus. As for the distance scale, im not sure cause i havent measured it yet.

It just won't focus easily in any distance..even with ample lighting. Sucks for him, spending 130+ on a lense that doesnt even work right...

Most reactions

Back