Canon 50mm f/1.8

If you can... find a 50mm f/1.8 MI (metal mount).
oh you lost me on this one. where would even start to look for one?

On a side note: I called the company i got my service plan through BHPhoto and they are sending me a label to send the ****ty lens back to them. Once they get it they are going to send me a check for a replacement lens. At this point I am not even sure I was to get another lens like this and am thinking of putting that money toward another better lens

wow I didn't know the build quality of the 50mm f1.8 lens is THAT poor. what a piece of crap ^^ well now I may will get the f1.4 one instead despite it costing three times more :D

There is mileage yet in the old adage "buy cheap, buy twice", not that it helps much. The f1.4 is much better made and you'd probably do well to save a little more to get one of those if it's a focal length you use a lot.

oh you lost me on this one. where would even start to look for one?

Prior to the current version of the nifty fifty, there was a previous version with the same optical design. People general refer it to the MarkI version. What sets this previous lens apart from the current version is a better build, METAL mount, and DOF range markings. The idea was to reduce the cost of a normal prime from which almost anyone can add to their bag to augment the already popular zooms. It is the lightest and most compact of all canon primes.

Many people were a bit disappointed with the build of the newer versions so they went looking for the mark I instead. The increase in demand of this discontinued lens created a market that actually pays more for the 50mm MI than what some people paid to obtain it. I resold mine to my cousin (who loves it) after shooting with it for years. I actually sold it for the same amount that I paid for it.

I personally feel the nifty fifty was an excellent move for canon. It allows for someone with a camera+zoom to add the enjoyment of prime lenses at a bargain price.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard/ef_50_18.html

Love my fifty! Not a problem with it yet and i use it the most out of all of my lenses.

Most reactions

Back