Canon 50mm Questions...

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was able to get an older copy of the 50mm 2.5 Macro for cheap from a friend and it is nice to have the "macro" ability, but the AF is really slow and LOUD.

Will the 50mm 1.8 be much of an upgrade, or will I be disappointed and want the 1.4 or the 1.2....not really in the market right now for the 1.2 ;)

I will be shooting some street stuff and some baby portraits. I have the 85 1.8, and it is awesome shooting portraits outdoors, but I think I would like to be closer to my subjects when shooting inside.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

It will still be slow and loud.... but not as bad.

A nice upgrade would be the f/1.4 because of build, more aperture blades, USM and faster aperture. Its closer to your 85mm f/1.8.

f/1.2 is not for everyone.. more of a niche lens.

To tell you the truth, the 50mm f/2.5 isn't an impressive lens. It does macro (1:1 with the life size converter) but focal length is a bit too short. I have the 1:1 life size teleconverter for that lens though.. if you do decide to keep it...PM me if you are interested.

I think the 50 1.4 is the best balance between cost and quality. It has 7 elements, 8 diaphram blades, and a micro USM motor and the 1.8 has 6 elements, 5 blades (harsh bokeh) and the standard micro moter. The 1.4 has less lens flare too. The 1.2 is overkill for most people.

Also, keep in mind that poor AF and Macro pretty much go hand-in-hand.

That may be part of the problem you're experiencing. I haven't used that lens, so I can't say for sure.

you have a full frame and 85mm f/1.8 is still too far for you? That is almost the same as my 50mm with my 1.6x sensor right? Or did I just make a noob statement. I feel like 50mm is close enough and not too far.

you have a full frame and 85mm f/1.8 is still too far for you? That is almost the same as my 50mm with my 1.6x sensor right? Or did I just make a noob statement.

No, I think that's accurate.

50mm on a crop body and 85mm on a full frame body have a close enough field of view that it's hard to tell them apart.

When I'm shooting the babies inside I need to be close to keep their attention and interact with them. The 85 has a focusing distance of 2.8ft, which is pretty far away. When I threw on the 50mm macro it worked out a lot better, but the AF was terrible.
Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I'm convinced to sell the macro and get the 1.4

So, should I hold out for this new Canon 50mm 1.4? It seems like this rumor has been going on for over a year now. Is it ever going to come?

gary,
If you read some of the other comments, I'm more concerned about focusing distance for the indoor baby portraits...and the 16-35 from 1.5ft is way to distorted for those.

I vote to not work off rumors and just get the 50mm f/1.4. Even if it is replaced it doesn't mean the old version is suddenly bad. If anything, the new version will cost significantly more as with the recent 70-200L II (versus the MI).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back