Canon 550D/600D or Nikon D5100?

fjrabon said:
You may be good with it, you may not be. Ive seen people take good care of their lenses, but one day just sorta bump it a little awkwardly and get barrel separation. My other issue with the lens is that it doesn't really have a point either. It's not really sharper than the kit lens until you get to about f/4, which is about what the kit lens can do at 50mm anyway. The whole reason you buy a 50mm f/1.8 is to be able to shoot at f/1.8-f/4. Being soft under f/4 is a killer for a prime in my book.

I'd personally buy a used D7000 and the 50mm f/1.8 AF. The used D7000 usually costs about the same as a new Canon 600D. You can find used 50mm f/1.8 AF lenses for like $70, and those things are durable.

What is the main differences from a 5100 to a 7000?

fjrabon said:
You may be good with it, you may not be. Ive seen people take good care of their lenses, but one day just sorta bump it a little awkwardly and get barrel separation. My other issue with the lens is that it doesn't really have a point either. It's not really sharper than the kit lens until you get to about f/4, which is about what the kit lens can do at 50mm anyway. The whole reason you buy a 50mm f/1.8 is to be able to shoot at f/1.8-f/4. Being soft under f/4 is a killer for a prime in my book.

I'd personally buy a used D7000 and the 50mm f/1.8 AF. The used D7000 usually costs about the same as a new Canon 600D. You can find used 50mm f/1.8 AF lenses for like $70, and those things are durable.

main difference being the cost,

fjrabon said:

lol, no, that's not the main difference. The main differences are:

1) two control wheels. If you get serious about photography that's the most significant difference.
2) Better autofocus system. Huge difference here between 39 focus points with 9 cross type and 11 with 1 cross type
3) commander mode of the built in flash. getting your flash off camera is a huge benefit, and commander mode gives you a relatively cheap and easy way to do that
4) better build quality and weather sealing. your camera isn't worth much if it breaks.
5) built in focus motor allows you to use AF lenses, some of which are cheaper than their AF-S contemporaries.
6) Faster shooting, if you do action.
7) better viewfinder, it's a brighter pentaprism and has 100% coverage, compared to the D5100's pentamirror 95% coverage viewfinder
8) a full stop more dynamic range
9) dual storage slots
10) battery lasts nearly twice as long

I've lost all sense of what you're even asking.

If you're asking which body is best between the 550D, 600D and D5100, the D5100 is better.

Here's a good comparison: Canon 600D vs Nikon D5100 - Our Analysis

However, I don't think it really matters which body you pick between these cameras. None of them will hold you back in a way that another one won't.

lol, no, that's not the main difference. The main differences are:

1) two control wheels. If you get serious about photography that's the most significant difference.
2) Better autofocus system. Huge difference here between 39 focus points with 9 cross type and 11 with 1 cross type
3) commander mode of the built in flash. getting your flash off camera is a huge benefit, and commander mode gives you a relatively cheap and easy way to do that
4) better build quality and weather sealing. your camera isn't worth much if it breaks.
5) built in focus motor allows you to use AF lenses, some of which are cheaper than their AF-S contemporaries.
6) Faster shooting, if you do action.
7) better viewfinder, it's a brighter pentaprism and has 100% coverage, compared to the D5100's pentamirror 95% coverage viewfinder
8) a full stop more dynamic range
9) dual storage slots
10) battery lasts nearly twice as long

Well,seriously speaking I have not used DSLR much! and really I dont have the money to buy a used D7000 either,electronic goods are cheaper there but not here I already mentioned!

Most reactions

Back