Canon 5D Classic Mode

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
'Ello all

So, forever, all of time, I have shot in manual mode. Simple enough, choose aperture, choose shutter, choose ISO (or any combination thereof). Then I found the beauty of the other modes a couple of months ago.

So I have two questions regarding Av/Tv mode when setting them on the 5D
1) When selecting my aperture in Av, the 5D selects shutter speed...will it select ISO, or do I select that?
2) Does the 5D have auto ISO in other modes other than M?

Thaaaaaaaaaaankkkkssssz

Yello.

1) depends on if you have auto ISO turned-on/selected.
2) It should.

You can find all the information you'd ever want to know about it right here. Happy reading.

5d classic Auto ISO improvement? - FM Forums

Auto ISO sucked on Canon cameras for multiple generations. PENTAX was the undisputed leader in AUTO ISO, offering multiple, clever options that no other manufacturer offered for several years. Nikon finally got to a truly useful, awesome Auto ISO a few years back, once they got to the Sony Exmoor generation sensors. As you can see by the above thread, even devoted Canon fanboys are "down on" Canon's Auto ISO implementation and options on the original 5D. (I have owned an original 5D since the spring of 2006...it was always a nifty camera.) Auto ISO was one of those things that Canon engineers never did seem to assign ANY kind of priority to...a lot like their mirror lock-up function, or their limited auto-bracketing blindness. It's weird, the way some camera maker's engineering and design teams will consistently IGNORE one design feature or another for years on end, while other camera makers focus very concentratedly on the same, exact issue(s), and develop industry-leading solutions for the problem(s).

Back when Canon was ignoring the issue, Pentax developed a mode in which the user could set both a preferred f/stop and a preferred shutter speed, and the camera could adjust ISO up or down to make that pre-set combination deliver the right exposure. At the time, such a concept was wayyyyyyyy forward-thinking. Pentax was actually the "leader" in developing and refining Auto ISO functionality. As you can see, Canon's 5D team was not concerned with Auto ISO functionality--probably thinking that the buyers of the 5D would not want such a "frivolous" feature to any extent. It might also be traditional, old-school Japanese engineering thinking: the Japanese for example, have LONG considered a professional camera as one that NEVER has a built-in flash...

I checked it out and nary could find any info about Auto-ISO. It just says to increase ISO if it blinks. I guess it makes sense (i.e. in the form of using a speedlight). I can use the EV Exposure +/- to help with exposure. Any other advice in using these modes?

5d classic Auto ISO improvement? - FM Forums

Auto ISO sucked on Canon cameras for multiple generations. PENTAX was the undisputed leader in AUTO ISO, offering multiple, clever options that no other manufacturer offered for several years. Nikon finally got to a truly useful, awesome Auto ISO a few years back, once they got to the Sony Exmoor generation sensors. As you can see by the above thread, even devoted Canon fanboys are "down on" Canon's Auto ISO implementation and options on the original 5D. (I have owned an original 5D since the spring of 2006...it was always a nifty camera.) Auto ISO was one of those things that Canon engineers never did seem to assign ANY kind of priority to...a lot like their mirror lock-up function, or their limited auto-bracketing blindness. It's weird, the way some camera maker's engineering and design teams will consistently IGNORE one design feature or another for years on end, while other camera makers focus very concentratedly on the same, exact issue(s), and develop industry-leading solutions for the problem(s).

Back when Canon was ignoring the issue, Pentax developed a mode in which the user could set both a preferred f/stop and a preferred shutter speed, and the camera could adjust ISO up or down to make that pre-set combination deliver the right exposure. At the time, such a concept was wayyyyyyyy forward-thinking. Pentax was actually the "leader" in developing and refining Auto ISO functionality. As you can see, Canon's 5D team was not concerned with Auto ISO functionality--probably thinking that the buyers of the 5D would not want such a "frivolous" feature to any extent. It might also be traditional, old-school Japanese engineering thinking: the Japanese for example, have LONG considered a professional camera as one that NEVER has a built-in flash...

These little nuances, including the terrible bit depth on the Canons, make me want to throw my hands into the air like a wind sock and switch to Nikon.

Does a newer version (Mk II or Mk III) have Auto ISO?

You can set auto ISO in any mode (including M) on my 1100D, and can override the ISO manually on every mode other than the green square.

Back when Canon was ignoring the issue, Pentax developed a mode in which the user could set both a preferred f/stop and a preferred shutter speed

You can do this in "P" mode.

Last edited:

Ken Rockwell answered my question. Auto ISO is on the 5D Mk II. That's totally on my list for Christmas.

You can set auto ISO in any mode (including M) on my 1100D, and can override the ISO manually on every mode other than the green square.

Back when Canon was ignoring the issue, Pentax developed a mode in which the user could set both a preferred f/stop and a preferred shutter speed

You can do this in "P" mode.

I owned the T3 (1100D) before I upgraded to the 5D. The original 5D was released in 2005, and and 5D Mk II was released three years later in 2008, while the 1100D was released Feb 2011. The substantial improvements between the 5D and the 5D Mk II included auto ISO (see guys, I can read as well...just making sure you're on top of your game).

I loved my T3 for what it was. But in 9 months time, I outgrew it and needed an upgrade. My options were full frame, or improvement in image sensor technology. And since the improvements in sensors tech (unless it was the 70d) was minimal, I opted for Full Frame.

Most reactions

Back