canon 5d mark 2

mariusz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hephoto.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
does anyone expierice problems with the focusing on 5d mark 2. I am currently using 1D mark 3 as my prime body, but thinking to get the 5D. andy thoughts.

I shoot weddings with a guy that has one... him (and MANY others) complain constantly at low light focusing abilities. At levels of light that I have no issues with, he's using a flashlight on the subject to get a focus lock on.

According to him, it gets even worse if he tries to focus on objects that are not in the center of his frame.

It's a common issue from what I read on other forums.

That's one reason why your 1D3 costs $3700 and the 5D2 is only $2700.

I'm sure it's as good as or better than the Rebels, in terms of focus, but certainly not up to the speed of the pro bodies, or even the 40D/50D.

well to be honest I had a lot of focus problems with my 1d3. It took 4 months for canon to fix it. it works ok now. that is why I prefer to research and get a feed back before I buy a new body. A lot of people complain about canon focusing.

It can be worked around, but it is frustrating for him... I see it in his face all the time, but in all honesty, he puts out some amazing work.

From my perspective part of the problem may be with the users. While this is a full frame body, it still uses the Canon 9 point focus system found in their crop body XXD systems. The T1i while it also has 9 focus points does not incorporate all of the same 9 point system refinements the XXD bodies do. The center focus point on the 5D MkII is cross type that is more sensitive with f2.8 and faster glass, it does not have 19 cross-type focus points that the 1D systems have incorporated in them. That means that low light focus is relying on that one point and the improvements in low light focusing only kicks in with f2.8 faster glass. If they select anything other than that center cross-type focus point they are relying on the standard focus abilities of the rest of the focus points provide.

I have learned from some of the local 5D MkII shooters that it take a bit of getting used to and using the system to it's maximum abilities.

I have zero problems with my 5DII. Its not lightning fast, but its very accurate. I use center point only on all my bodies. It has never let me down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back