Canon 5D mark iii with multiple Yongnuo canon copy flash's. Please help

deliriumtrigger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my issue... I am new to flash photography.

When, use a wireless trigger on my camera, (no flash on the camera) and then another wireless trigger on another flash. Then the second flash, I put as "slave 1" and it works. If I disable "fire master flash" it doesn't seem to affect anything. Is that because the master is considered my trigger on my camera? If so, why isn't my first flash considered slave 1?

Okay, now, if I get a 3rd and 4th flash, they only have to option to have slave 1 or slave 2. So what do I do to get those to fire? Put them in groups?

I have more wireless triggers, would it help to put the second flash on a wireless trigger that way I can change it's settings in my canon 5d or will that not work? For the first flash I change it's power and other settings in my camera menu instead of walking up to the flesh. On the second flash, I have to manually change it.

I shoot in M mode on the flash's. The ETTL can't guess what I'm doing for.

I do not understand how this all works, I haven't gotten my second flash to work in nearly 4 months. Today, for some reason it worked. I'm not sure if it's because I left the first flash alone and put the second flash at slave or what.

But again, if I had 4 flash's, would I keep them all at channel A? Or how would I even put one at channel B if it doesn't have a wireless trigger on it?

Sorry im a noob. I hope those who know understand what I am saying and can tell me why it doesn't matter if my master flash is turned on or off the same thing happens.

Another thing, to get the two flash's to work, i for some reason can no longer control from my camera like I can with one off camera flash and it keeps it in ETTL on my camera, but I keep it in M on both flash's. Why doesn't my camera see it? I know these are canon rip off flash's, but it worked just as a canon would with one flash but not with two.

What type/brand of wireless trigger are you using?

Same brand as the flash's. Now I've gotten it all to work, but it mostly works correctly in M mode, although both flash's and triggers are designed for TTL. I'm not sure it's communicating to the second flash where it needs to be in TTL because it stays in the same spot even as I switch settings.

Although I do prefer using M mode anyway. I have gotten good with one flash. I figured it was about time to go 2 flash's.

With the second flash I do not have it on a receiver. I put it on one, and it didn't do anything, but it's working without one just by the flash seeing the signal from the first flash. If I put it on the receiver I don't notice any difference. Is there something I'm missing? Should the third flash be on a receiver?

Most reactions

Back