Canon 5D MKII or 6D???? Help please

So I'm coming to the conclusion that there really isn't much of a difference other than the 6D being a newer camera and having higher ISO option and some cool feathers like the Wifi (which sounds cool if it can send images to my iPad as I take them). It really comes down to what you are shooting and I guess the camera you are used to. Wish I had the experience a lot of you have which would make my decision easier but I will slowly get there.

:hail:

Here is a simple page detailing what are called the "key specifications" of the 6D. Canon EOS 6D Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Note that the flash sync speed and the maximum shutter speed are NOT EVEN MENTIONED, because they are NOT "key specifications".

The 6D is smaller, lighter, and newer, and has built-in Wi-Fi and GPS. It has a different, 11-area AF system vs the 5D-II's 9-point system. It can shoot in "silent shooting mode". it shoots faster than the 5D-II. it has the newer 63-zone NON-color-blind light metering system Canon is beginning to develop. It has ISO expansion up to 102,800. Startup time is about 100 milliseconds versus 400 for the 5D-II. it can shoot 1080p 30 video with stereo sound when using an external microphone. The 6D has in-camera HDR. It has contrast detection autofocus during video shooting, which the 5D-II does not have. Shutter lag time on the 6D is about half of that on the 5D-II. It is thinner than the 5D-II. It has a bigger, and higher-resolution LCD screen. The 6D has a better battery.

So like, at first everybody is ragging on the 6D when it came out and now it's like "1/180 and 1/4000, no big deal." lol

NO...some of us, like me for example, were saying from Day 1 that 1/180 and 1/4000 are perfectly acceptable speeds for flash synch and maximum shutter speed value...other people, who do not seem to be able to come to grips with 1/180 as opposed to 1/200 second for flash, seem to try and use that ridiculous specification as some kind of a knock against the 6D.

I mean--come on...1/180 vs 1/200??? Are people serious??? That's a meaningless difference. Utterly meaningless. One-twentieth of a second faster is basically the same thing.

For those who want to shoot wide-aperture flash for some reason, there is High Speed Synch available. That's why HSS was invented. If a person wishes to get some advice for a purchasing decision, it helps if the advice is coming from somebody who actually understands cameras and photography fully, and not just partially. The "loss" of 1/20 of a second on regular flash synch, and the "loss" of 1/8000 second are piddling omissions...not really significant differences.

I mean seriously....1/180 vs 1/200 second??? Hilarious.
I never understood either why people keep highlighting this metric. I have the popup replacement 270EX II for example and can shoot at any speed using HSS (i.e., no limit whatsoever), so the 1/180 is mostly of academic interest. You can leave HSS on all the time, 6D will turn it off automatically if speed is at or below 1/180. There is no downside to using HSS other than a little loss of power, and you don't even notice it in most situations. The only times I can think of not using HSS is when you want first/second curtain effects, but you'd be using low shutter speeds anyway in those cases.

Like i said.. My opinion. Not everyone can afford HSS trigger. My shots are often blurry at 1/200. My old rebel can do 1/200. Why are they downgrading it? I always thought 1/200 was too slow and now it is 1/180.

Last edited:
So like, at first everybody is ragging on the 6D when it came out and now it's like "1/180 and 1/4000, no big deal." lol

NO...some of us, like me for example, were saying from Day 1 that 1/180 and 1/4000 are perfectly acceptable speeds for flash synch and maximum shutter speed value...other people, who do not seem to be able to come to grips with 1/180 as opposed to 1/200 second for flash, seem to try and use that ridiculous specification as some kind of a knock against the 6D.

I mean--come on...1/180 vs 1/200??? Are people serious??? That's a meaningless difference. Utterly meaningless. One-twentieth of a second faster is basically the same thing.

For those who want to shoot wide-aperture flash for some reason, there is High Speed Synch available. That's why HSS was invented. If a person wishes to get some advice for a purchasing decision, it helps if the advice is coming from somebody who actually understands cameras and photography fully, and not just partially. The "loss" of 1/20 of a second on regular flash synch, and the "loss" of 1/8000 second are piddling omissions...not really significant differences.

I mean seriously....1/180 vs 1/200 second??? Hilarious.
I never understood either why people keep highlighting this metric. I have the popup replacement 270EX II for example and can shoot at any speed using HSS (i.e., no limit whatsoever), so the 1/180 is mostly of academic interest. You can leave HSS on all the time, 6D will turn it off automatically if speed is at or below 1/180. There is no downside to using HSS other than a little loss of power, and you don't even notice it in most situations. The only times I can think of not using HSS is when you want first/second curtain effects, but you'd be using low shutter speeds anyway in those cases.

When you start doing off camera flash, not all trigger can do HSS.

Don't know why but never been a nikon fan, always bought canon. Would be going too wild if I got a nikon :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

why dont you invest in glass?

Buy some EF lenses and hone your skills and when you think you need a FF,take a plunge! If I were you I would have bought glass rather than FF body

My 2 Cents

why dont you invest in glass?

Buy some EF lenses and hone your skills and when you think you need a FF,take a plunge! If I were you I would have bought glass rather than FF body

My 2 Cents

I'd have to second that.

When I had my Rebel, I had the choice of either upgrading the body or buying new glass. I opted for the 70-200mm f/2.8L, and I've never looked back. That lens is still a workhorse...

When I had my Rebel, I had the choice of better glass or upgrading the body. I opted for the 5DmkII, and never looked back.

All good opinions and all different. I'm going to flip a coin on this one. If I make the upgrade it will be to the new 6D just because of all the things I read. Agree that there are small things that differ both from each other but not too drastic. So the only thing now is will i upgrade from the T3i to the new 6D?????? :confused:

When I made the jump from P&S to DSLR, I bought a used 30D. Good camera, good pictures, just not enough 'croppability' at 8mp, working from JPGs in the 2meg range. So I upgraded to a 60D to get the extra 10 megapixels.

Then I found the kit glass wasn't sufficient for low light photography without using an external flash. About 20-30% of my shots were indoors, no flash. Time for new glass. Upgraded to 2.8 and faster lenses and the 24-105 f4L IS which won over the 24-70 f2.8L for my shooting.

Upgraded to the 5D3 a month ago...drop dead focus, outstanding ISO for low light work. Throw in silent shooting and 2 slots (1CF + 1SD), I was sold long before I clicked 'add to cart'.

In short, it's been one step at a time. Using what I had, finding a lack/need, and making upgrades on that basis.

Bottom line...I'd say keep the T3i, get some full-frame, higher quality glass, improve your photography skills before diving into a new body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back